Tearful Goodbyes - Chapter Two*

Despite everything that has happened, I'm not sure that I want to go. I want to stay here and fight for him, for us. Unfortunately, our future together is one that Matias doesn't want.

My most important things are packed in two mismatched suitcases; one that I already had, and one that mom found in the back of her closet and gave to me. We haven't discussed the fact that I'm leaving today. I'm not really sure what there is to say.

The members of Alpha Bellaine's pack that arrived to the mating celebration are set to leave at nine. Some of them wolves who have found their mates, taking a new pack member with them, some of them who came and didn't find what they were looking for. Others will stay here in Deadpaw and live out their lives as permanent members.

Outright transfers are rare - most wolves move packs to be with their other half. I will probably be the only new wolf arriving alone.

That's one of the many thoughts that swam through my head all night, keeping me awake. All I could do was stare at my bedroom ceiling. At three this morning I gave up and took a bath, brushed my hair and teeth, then tried to think of anything else that I could be forgetting. There is no way I can take everything, so I had to pick and choose.

I do my best to not be sick from nerves, or think too hard on what awaits me in the East. Mom reassured me at breakfast that I would be happy there, that the Alpha and Luna are lovely people. I understand that she trusts them, but something inside me wonders if dealing with the pain of the bond and being here would be easier. Even if I did have to face Matias eventually..

I dread going downstairs and saying goodbye to my family. I want to go back to when none of this had happened, when I was still clueless to what Matias is to me. Before I had seen the disgust in his eyes at the fact that I'm his mate. Before I had the knowledge that I am nothing to him.

I happen to glance at my vanity, which now only held my least important items that weren't worth bringing. Seeing the few pictures I have taped to it, I feel a moment of guilt for the fact that I almost left them here. One or two are of me, mom and dad, another is of me and Lyon when we were young, holding two rabbits we caught together (with father's help), and then another of me and Limmie. My heart squeezes at the picture of me and her together, taken by mom, side by side and grinning. Holding a few flowers each that we picked from the wildflower field. She's been my friend since I can remember. I will be leaving her behind, too. I wonder what she thinks of all of this, she has to have heard. I wonder if I will get to see her before I leave. No, I'm going to see her. I should at least give her a goodbye, if nobody else. She's like a sister I never had.

When I make it to the bottom of the stairs, mom and dad are rounding the corner coming out of the kitchen. Dad looks puzzled as I turn the doorknob. "Where are you going?" I'm already stepping outside as I answer. "I'm going to tell Limmie goodbye. I'm not sure when I will see her again."

I glance over my shoulder long enough to see him nod an okay. Turning back around, I figure the best way to get to her house and avoid most other people is through our trail. Circling around back, I find the path through the woods that cuts through a bush and leads to her house. We only used it when we were supposed to be sleeping, but would go out exploring instead.

Even on this mostly hidden path the smell of Matias is apparent. He is unavoidable here. Maybe mother is right; the best thing I can do is leave.

It's only a matter of minutes before I'm just out of the woods, standing at the door to Limmie's house. I raise my hand to knock, only to be interrupted by a shrill scream from behind. "Thea! I'm so glad to see you!"

Turning around, I see Limmie's beaming smile as she runs towards me. She hits me in a hug with enough speed that I almost stagger. I notice that behind her follows a male that I do not recognize, and he seems to be watching our interaction closely despite not saying anything.