Chapter 4

We never ended up going to yoga. Once we arrived by rail at North Park, Lyra convinced us-- well, she convinced Phaenna, to go shopping.

 "I'd rather do something else." I said.

 Lyra's brow furrowed. "How come? Isn't it almost Henosis?" She smiled knowingly. "It's an important event. We need something to wear."

 "I'm actually going to wear one of my sister's dresses."

 "Oh come on, this is a once a year thing! Let's get something new. Down with second-hand dresses."

 I felt my nails digging into my palms as I balled my fists. Phaenna put an arm on Lyra's shoulder. "She's a bit sensitive about that... Her sister passed away two years ago."

 My knuckles turned white. I put my hands in the pocket of my hoodie. Lyra's eyes sparked with something... She knew something. But the gleam was gone as quickly as it had come. She gave me a small sympathetic smile. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be so insensitive. I'm... I'm sorry for your loss."

 I nodded stiffly. I hated talking about Rhea. And I hated the way people looked at me once they realized who I was. Phaenna had no right to tell Lyra.

 "I just remembered I need to pick something up at the market." I turned to face Elli. "Want to come with me?"

 He nodded enthusiastically. "Yeah... I uh, want to see if they have the sequel to Mountains and Moons."

 "Great. Bye, guys. Have fun... shopping."

 Phaenna looked conflicted. She pressed her lips together and waved goodbye. Lyra, in turn, looked truly sorry.

 I didn't linger. Elli followed me down the bright street, the light rail shining above and disappearing through the shopping buildings that lined the broad sidewalks, trees and flower pots spaced throughout.

 "Are you alright?" He asked.

 "Yeah." I still hadn't unclenched my fists.

 Elli didn't buy it. He's really good at reading people, but his lying and comforting skills are limited. "Well, thanks for getting me out of there. I hate shopping. Unless it's for books, of course." I met his eyes, and he stopped, reading my expression. Elli was good company; he was okay with not talking.

 The opening in the sidewalk leading to the market was bordered by two huge cement pots of wildflowers, and the entrance to the square was lined with palm trees.

 I sighed, as we entered the colorful aisles of the bustling open-air market, and inhaled the rich scents of spices and perfumes and oils and flowers. I loved the scent of the Market.

 The Market square was probably my favorite place in Allevan, even before the Warehouse, and was sort of the bridge between the two districts of the city. Vendors' voices floated about, calling shoppers to come and view their wares. People from both the City of Light and Iron Town gathered and gossiped. No one cared about one's status here. The Market was a communal place where people from all districts mixed and were treated the same--the only thing that mattered to vendors perhaps was how much you had to spend.

 We passed a stall selling all manners of fabrics, and I paused to admire a particularly pretty bolt of silk. Blues and purples and greens so dark it looked black, shot through with little yellow and silver threads woven in between, making it look like a starry night.

 We walked on browsing the array of items. The Market was a beautiful place, a free place. Not that I was against the Regulate, or anything. They had reason to be so strict, now with the circulating rumors of rebellion... I wrung my hands at the idea, the stupidity. All the rebels would be found.