Chapter 99 - Charitable Performance (Part 1)

Siobhan

Month 1, Day 30, Saturday 4:30 p.m.

People were packed into the ground floor of the Verdant Stag like pickled cucumbers stuffed into a jar. It wasn't until Siobhan got further into the room that some space cleared up and she was able to get away from the stifling crush. The heat from all the bodies made her warm clothing unnecessary, but she caught sight of a pair of uniformed coppers at one of the tables and decided not to take off her hooded cloak. Sure, she was Silvia, a civilian who, at most, helped at a healing station during the fighting, and had the identity papers to prove it, but if they took her to Harrow Hill, papers might not save her.

'Why are they here?' she wondered.

Everyone seemed to have come for the people on stage at the other end of the room, who she thought must be putting on some sort of play at first, but when she actually listened, it was a rather strange monologue.

"After the earlier testimony of both the accused and the accusers, which was verified through prognos divination and wards against untruth, Eric Hanna, Morrow member, has been found guilty by the Verdant Stag of the following crimes: public nudity, blackmail, three counts of mugging, twenty-two counts of extortion, and six counts of assault, one of which caused grievous and permanent injury. By order of Lord Stag, he has been relieved of the fruits of his crimes, and restitution is due to those he has harmed."

The cheers were immediate and deafening as people clapped, slammed their tankards of ale and beer on the tabletops, and stomped their feet.

When the noise died down, the second person atop the stage stepped forward. "As the executor of a trust held at Citrus Bank, and in no way associated with the Verdant Stag, or other criminal activity," he added, with a dark glare toward the two coppers, "I have been charged to publicly convey the beneficiaries of this trust and the amount they are receiving."

Siobhan noticed then the banner above the stage that introduced the "charitable performance."

The trust executor listed off names, accompanied by varying monetary amounts that ranged from a few silver to a few gold. It wasn't even close to what the coppers would have fined for those same crimes, and was certainly less than what Oliver had extorted out of the accused Morrows, but the audience didn't seem to care.

Siobhan sidled closer to a particularly enthusiastic woman. "What's going on?" she asked, her voice almost drowned out by another wave of cheers as the executor announced the next person to receive restitution.

The woman gave her a huge, slightly drunken grin that revealed a couple of missing teeth. "Something's actually being done about the injustices we all been subjec—subjd—" She stopped to hiccup, then finished, "the injustices we went through."

"And they're really paying? How do you get chosen for restitution?"

The woman nodded dramatically. "Yes, Lord Stag is really paying out. If your name is called, you go down to Citrus Bank with identification, and their people there take out the money from that trust account he was mentioning—coin straight into your hand! And it's easy to get considered for restitution, just go note what the Morrows did to you, and which've 'em did it. You've gotta give testimony under some kind of spell that keeps you from lying, and once the trial is over it's too late to submit a claim. Not everyone gets the restitution, if there's not enough proof of what was done, or who did it, or if who did it doesn't have any coin for the Verdant Stag to take back for you. Still, a damn sight better than anyone else would do for us." She looked over to the table that housed the coppers and yelled, "A damn sight better than the coppers ever did for us!"