Chapter 102 - First Moves (Part 1)

Sebastien

Month 1, Day 31, Sunday 12:00 p.m.

As the first step in implementing solutions to her problems, Sebastien returned to the unused second floor classroom where she'd practiced her divination.

While she set up the spell array and components for the mapping spell, Sebastien kept thinking. 'If I could get the coppers off my back entirely, I might not even need to worry about them having my blood. Perhaps I could make it more costly to keep pursuing me than what they would gain by catching me, or give them something they want even more than the Raven Queen...' She sighed, shaking her head. Even if she could keep them from charging her with treason and blood magic, some of the other things she'd done in the meantime would probably still be considered a crime, and she was unwilling to go to jail for any length of time.

This wasn't a problem she could fix through entirely legal means, not at this point, and not when she had so little power. Illegal means, such as blackmail or bribery, might still be on the table. If she had some way to be sure she could trust the coppers not to arrest and execute her, she could make a deal to give back the book in exchange for her freedom. But making that kind of deal would require some extra leverage to ensure they wouldn't go back on their word whenever it became convenient for them.

Still, it was worth keeping in mind that there might be other solutions to her problems, visible if she came at them from a different angle.

If she could decrypt the book, perhaps that would give her a better idea of the best options, or the leverage she would need to keep the University and the coppers sufficiently wary of her retaliation.

And yet, she wasn't sure she was willing to give up the identity of Sebastien Siverling. Not unless the same opportunities she had as Sebastien could be afforded to Siobhan, which seemed...unlikely. At the very least, her Crown Family schoolmates would probably feel betrayed by her duplicity. 'And would Professor Lacer be willing to take Siobhan Naught as an apprentice?' But these problems were pointless to consider at the moment, and so she set that line of thought aside as she moved on to the actual casting of the divination spell.

Mixing a couple shavings of the bone disk with the mercury for the mapped divination spell—rather than her blood—didn't increase the difficulty of casting, and Sebastien soon found Tanya's location, tucked away in the library. With this, she didn't need to follow Tanya to know where she was, though the downside was the increased difficulty compared to the compass spell.

'That's one small step of many complete. Now for the things that can be completed with a handful of coin.'

The morning gloom had burned off by the time Sebastien arrived at Waterside Market, but despite the winter sun shining down with all the strength it could muster, the residue of the inter-gang battle lived on in more than the faint smell of smoke. The crowds were sparse, and people moved faster, trying to finish their shopping and get home without lingering. Coppers patrolled around the market or stood glaring near the more expensive shops.

Sebastien bought an eclectic variety of items, stocking up on extras of her most-used components and supplies as well as a few dozen small vials, jars, and pouches for organization. Despite the nearby law enforcement, she was able to get what she required with nothing more than a flash of her student token.

After becoming Siobhan at the Silk Door, she took a roundabout way to Liza's house. The streets grew busier the farther south she went, with people huddled by braziers of fire in the alleys and curled up in doorways to escape the icy wind.

But not as many people as she had feared. The fires caused by the fighting had been put out before they could ravage the whole of the Mires, and both the Church of the Radiant Maiden and the Stewards of Intention had taken in refugees. If she knew Oliver at all, she was sure the Verdant Stag was doing the same.

Siobhan's path took her past some of the damage. There must have been areas worse affected, but it wasn't as bad as she'd been expecting. A few destroyed walls let in the elements. The cobblestone street had shattered in places from excessive force. Scorch marks from overpowered spells lingered, accompanied by barriers of poured stone that no one had gotten around to dissolving.

Siobhan rapped on Liza's door with the lion door-knocker, avoiding its teeth. After a few moments, it apparently decided she was safe, and the lock opened with an audible "click." Siobhan walked in and waited in the dining area attached to the kitchen.

Liza arrived a long few minutes later with a steaming mug of dark tea in her hands, sleep-grit in her bloodshot eyes, and a scowl on her face.

'She's tired. Perfect,' Siobhan thought.

"What do you want? Be quick about it. I've barely gotten any sleep for the past two weeks dealing with all this shit, and I am running low on fucks to give." Liza didn't even bother to glare at Siobhan, staring wearily into the mid-distance and gulping down her steaming tea.

Siobhan replied without preamble. "I have a newly developed spell in the testing stages that can allow you to give up sleep without side effects."

Liza's expression was blank for a whole second of continued bleariness, and then she turned to Siobhan with sudden hawklike focus, her Will tightening the air between them. "Continue."

"The spell array and theory have been reviewed and approved by an extremely accomplished sorcerer, but I haven't attempted to cast it yet. It works on sympathetic binding principles. Technically blood magic, but it only requires a raven. I assumed you would have no qualms with that."

"No side effects? No sleep debt? No decrease in mental or physical function? How long does it last?" Liza asked, rapid-fire.

Siobhan held back her smile and answered confidently. "It's still in the testing phase, but it's based on restricted experiments carried out during the Third Empire. No side effects for the person giving up sleep. There would probably be some minor sleep debt if you push the duration of the spell to its limits, but nothing like what you would normally experience. I'm not sure of the specifics when not using another human as part of the spell. I'd estimate you could spend one to three days awake in a row. You'll likely still experience some fatigue, and any serious injuries or extended stressors would require you to rest outside of the bounds of the spell...but the benefits are obvious, I think. These last two weeks could have left you feeling as tired as you might after a long day of work, rather than as if you'd been pushing yourself without a break for days straight."

Liza stared at Siobhan like a dog staring at a juicy steak. She tried to take a drink from her cup but realized it was empty. "Give me a moment." She retreated to the kitchen, returning a few minutes later with two cups full of tea. She seemed slightly less eager as she handed one cup to Siobhan.

Siobhan took it with thanks but only blew on the steaming liquid, not taking a sip. It wasn't that she thought Liza would drug her...but the other woman hadn't hidden her greed well enough. 'There are spells that keep people from paying attention to what they're signing, so why not a couple drops of a tincture that can make someone a little too compliant while negotiating?'

"You have my attention," Liza said. "I'm skeptical about these claims, especially since you say it's merely in the theoretical stage right now, but I would be willing to test it for you. I assume the components are expensive?"

Siobhan almost snorted at the blatant attempt to swindle her. "The details of the spell are proprietary information. I'm willing to give you the information, but it certainly won't be for free. The components aren't cheap, but I was able to get my hands on them, so I don't need your help with that."

"What do you want?"

Siobhan hadn't expected Liza to be this interested. She'd simply hoped to avoid paying to cast the spell while also keeping everything set up at Liza's house. But she wasn't one to let opportunity go to waste. 'Liza was willing to knock sixty-five gold off her fee to study the warding medallion Grandfather made me. This isn't as magically impressive as that...but obviously Liza could make great use of it. She might be able to develop a similar spell herself, but without access to the University library resources...maybe not.' "One hundred fifty gold," Siobhan tried.