Interlude 5: Trick or Spoke

A/N: Ngl, this chapter didn't need a week to be made... The amount of words I've deleted is embarrassing. Please take most of this chapter with a grain of salt—its canon but still. Also, this chapter was only made as an excuse to flaunt the Halloween fan art AHAHAH!

HERE IT IS! HELM AND RU IN THE FLESH! CAT AND DOG! I quite like this on, it was very fun to draw at least.

Now go on and enjoy this chapter!

——

Fire.

"...!" I woke up with a gasp, trying to process what I'd just seen. But instead of finding myself in heaven—or hell, who knows with my dubious decisions—I found myself in the infirmary.

I recognized it as I had to spend a few days here last time I was injured... I smiled wryly at the memory.

But as I inspected my body and saw no scars, I sighed with relief. Not only did I survive but I didn't suffer anything serious—

My eyes widened when I remembered Karl, Q, and Ophelia. I tried to get out of my bed, in hopes of finding out what happened to them—

"I knew we had to keep an eye on you. The first thing you do after waking up is escape. Don't you have any shame?" I stopped when I heard a voice. The curtain was drawn back, revealing Q and... Karl sitting on their infirmary beds. I blinked when I saw them.

"...I can explain."

"Let's hear it then," Q crossed his arms with a doubtful look. I composed myself and then began to regret it. This... was going to sound embarrassing.

"I...well... I was worried about you guys and wanted to see if you were alright..." I glanced back and saw Q smiling playfully. I glowered at him.

"What's that smile supposed to mean?" He shook his head.

"Nothing, nothing. But worry about yourself, first. I'm quite healthy myself." I stared blankly at him and then pointed at his arm.

"Then what are those bandages for?"

"Aesthetic reasons." He said with a straight face. I sighed before glancing at Karl. He'd been unusually quiet while Q and I bickered. Feeling now a bit awkward and guilty, I sat up from my bed and walked to his bed.

"Karl?" The boy looked up from his daze and he seemed surprised that I approached him. I grew even more concerned. Don't tell me... did that Salamander burn his talkative personality away too?

"Is your back okay?" Out of the four of us, he had by far the worst injuries. Somehow he held on even better than Q and Ophelia though, remaining conscious up until the point where I fainted. After that... Well, I'm awake to find out about it now.

Karl blinked and then he slowly nodded. "I recovered pretty easily thanks to the principal. Are you... okay?"

"I only got light burns thanks to you, so I'm fine." I told him with a smile. Great, I don't have to feel as guilty anymore. I turned to leave, wanting to sleep a little more as I was still tired from the mana fatigue—