Karte 7: Broken Mask

1

1

Today Kyotarou lent me his bike because it was my turn to go buy stuff for their house.

Once I reached the school entrance Yamada spotted me.

"Wow, look at you with a bike. Lucky you!"  She playfully elbowed me on my side.

She sounds like she's about to mug me...

"It's not mine."

She tilts her head. "I always thought you were more of a walking person though." 

"I have to buy something."

She grins. "Wanna give me a ride?" 

I'm not in a rush. "Where?"

"Wait, you will?"

"Sure I'm not in a rush."

"To Muraoka's snack shop, then."

I nod. 

She sits on the back. 

I turned my head slightly to make sure she safely positioned herself only to find she sat with her legs facing me.

I thought girls usually sit with their legs to the side. 

"Almost forgot! Hang on." She pulls out something from her backpack and shows it to me.

"What is that?" I asked.

"Papiko!"

"Papiko?" I tilt my head.

"You've never tried it?" 

"No, I haven't."

"To put it simply is a mixture of frozen chocolate and coffee put on two little bottles glued together. You can separate them though. Like this." She splits the two bottles. "Wanna try one?" She gives one to me.

"Thanks." I gladly receive it and give it a try.

I never thought Yamada would share her food but I guess there's a first time for everything.

Once she notices no reaction from me she pouts.

What kind of reaction was she looking for?

Once we both finished our Papiko she exclaims. "Let's go now!" She extends her arm forward as a signal for me to start pedaling.

Once we're a block away from school she taps my shoulder. "Don't you ever have club practice or anything?"

"I didn't sign up in any club."

"I'm not in any too! Though I used to be in the basketball club."

"Why did you quit?"

"Because of my job. My mom made me pick between the two."