Chapter 33 - Like the Most

Initially with his arms crossed as he leaned against the wall, Tang Jin stood up the moment he saw Xu Bai Chuan. Holding down the itch at his throat, he cautiously said, “I came to see you.”

Xu Bai Chuan thought: ‘The problem is why you came to see me.’

Tang Jin couldn’t hold back a cough. One cough became two, two became three, and three became continuous coughing.

During the early morning, Tang Jin’s incessant coughing resounded throughout the hallway. Xu Bai Chuan sighed, then opened the door and went back inside. Although he wanted to follow him inside, Tang Jin suddenly thought of something, withdrew his raised foot and waited in the hallway.

Xu Bai Chuan quickly returned with a grey jacket which he proceeded to throw at Tang Jin. Then he said, “Wear this. No need to return it.” Once he finished speaking, he locked the door and walked towards the elevator.

Tang Jin wore the jacket and was soon surrounded by a familiar scent. Without saying a word, he quickly caught up to Xu Bai Chuan.

He followed him from the hallway to the elevator, then from the elevator to the neighborhood garden. Although Xu Bai Chuan wanted to speak out several times, he thought about it and realized that if Tang Jin wanted to leave, he had to take the same route. It’s better to stop having unfounded worries.

As he turned out of the gates and began to pick up the pace, the sound of footsteps followed behind him. Xu Bai Chuan came to a stop. He wanted to ask Tang Jin why he was following him, but by doing so, won’t things become hopelessly muddled again… Since he dares not to provoke him, can’t he avoid him instead? After stopping for only 10 seconds, Xu Bai Chuan quickly started running again at a pace much faster than on his usual morning jogs.

Yet after running for less than ten meters, a force from behind suddenly collided with him and two arms tightly closed around his waist. Tang Jin’s deep low voice sounded beside his ear. “Don’t go.”

At 6 a.m., the streets have yet to be filled with the cars of office workers. Moreover, it wasn’t a university neighborhood so there weren’t any wandering students. Apart from the breakfast vendors pushing their carts around in the morning, most of the people around were joggers like Xu Bai Chuan.

Two men wearing headbands and thin sportswear in this cold weather ran past consecutively. They kept on turning their heads around to look at these two homosexuals entangled together. One of them even met Xu Bai Chuan’s line of sight and raised a hand. The meaning was—Make yourselves comfortable.

Extremely embarrassed, Xu Bai Chuan reached out to break off the hand on his waist. He angrily said, “We’re on a main road! Are you crazy!”

Tang Jin murmured, “I’m not crazy.” Since he didn’t let go no matter what was said, both of their clothes became crumpled from the struggle.

They had run to outside of a place selling breakfast. Unable to stand the probing eyes of those passing by and without the strength to throw him off, Xu Bai Chuan was forced to push Tang Jin into the store.

It was very early so the breakfast store was empty. A young married couple were placing the steaming hot breakfast meals into food warmers and were about to subconsciously greet the people who just entered. Yet looking at the two people who seemed as if they were fighting, the couple swallowed the words at the tip of their tongue and flusteredly came out from behind the rows of warmers. Clasping their hands at their chest, they were at a complete loss as they urged, “Calm down and talk it out. Don’t fight!”

Xu Bai Chuan quickly flashed an apologetic smile at this young married couple. He said, “It’s nothing, we’re just playing around.” He stopped struggling and spoke again, “Please give us two soy milk and four rice balls.”