The Biological Daughter Returns

The next day, Xie Yi woke up to the sound of the knocking door. After she was served a lavish breakfast, the kind and friendly Mrs Zhang offered to show her around, which Xie Yi gladly accepted without much thought.

Although Xie Yi had learned about the Xie family's background before she decided to move in, she was still surprised by just how vast the residence turned out to be.

They were now in the Sun City, one of the numerous underdeveloped smaller cities located in the orange region near the frontier lines. The Orders of the Safety Region in the country were ranked as such: Red – Orange – Yellow – Green.

Unlike the red-ranked region which was located beyond the frontier line, the orange region pointed to the outermost-layer within the border. Although safer to a certain degree, it will be the first layer to be breached once a certain part of the border falls apart.

The Xie family may be one of the 12 Grand Lineages that specialized in the super ability of Ice and Water however, to own such a huge residence that could house up to hundreds of hunters in a small city of the orange region was an astounding feat to say the least. Not to mention the other family branches spread out all over the Country of Hua and even the 5 Super Cities.

"Auntie, has the Xie residence always been this huge?"

Xie Yi was never interested in these things as she used to spend the entirety of her life 'clearing and exploring' beyond the borders. However, now that she had become a part of this family, she couldn't help but to be curious about these new things, compelling her to find out more.

"That's an unavoidable misunderstanding, I guess."

Mrs Zhang chuckled, finding her question especially cute for someone that supposedly came from the Xies. She continued her speech with a bright and patient smile on her face.

"The Xie residence can only be this big since it was where the Third Master, Xie Yun, as well as the whole direct descendants from the third family, lives. This also includes you from now on, Miss Xie."

"Xie Yun?"

Xie Yi scrunched her eyebrows in confusion. She seemed to have heard that name before but couldn't remember where and when.

"That's right, Miss Xie. Master Xie Yun, who comes from the main family, is precisely your father. You're the fourth child of the Third Master and also the only biological daughter of Master Xie and Madam Shu."

Xie Yi thoughtfully nodded as if she had been enlightened. It was now that she remembered the names recorded in the report she received when she wanted to study about her own background.

Her father, Xie Yun, was a 10th-ranked water-based ability user while her mother, Shu Hua, was a​ 8th-ranked earth-based ability user. She had a pair of twin older brothers who were 3 years older than her, Xie Zuo and Xie Hu, and an adopted older sister that was a year older than her, Xie Shuang.

Three years ago, after the sudden surge in the number of mutant tides attacking the borders, some families from the 12 Grand Lineages were sent to help defend the frontier lines, with the Xie third family assigned to the Sun City.

Since then, the family rarely returned to the Main Ancestral Hall that was located in Bei Cheng, one of the 5 Super Cities, only returning for the annual gathering that happened every 4 years.

As she drowned herself in her own thoughts, trying to recall the pictures she saw in their 'biographies', Mrs Zhang glanced at her conflicted expression and thought that she was wondering where they were.

"Miss Xie, Master and the Madam have brought a group of youngsters, as well as the young masters and the third young miss to the frontiers to seek for some experience."

"En, I understand."

Xie Yi blankly nodded. She lowered her head to recollect the current situation in the borders. By this time, the borders should've still been completely occupied by the strange appearance of Leopolds, a mutated lightning-type beast of the ancient beast, Leopards.

With an average of two possibilities of evolutions, Leopolds were classified as AAA-grade threats, with the strongest kind ever seen matching the strength of a 10th-ranked ability user. For this level of battlefield (A~AAA), one would need to have at least a 5th-ranked ability to actually be able to contribute something to the battlefield.

Bringing along youngsters with limited strength and experiences would do more harm than good to the team. Xie Yi wondered if they could all return back intact.

Seeing the teenager's serious expression, the old woman patted her back in comfort, thinking that she had been saddened by the news of her family's absence.

"Cheer up, Miss Xie. They will approximately be back in a few days. Why don't I show you around the training grounds to kill time? The other Xie clan members will mostly be busy with their training around this time."

Mrs Zhang had that sort of youthful mischief in her eyes when she pulled the teenager's hand, continuing in an eager tone.

"Oh, right? Can I call you Fourth Young Miss from now on? Afterall, the Fourth Young Miss has now officially returned."

The old woman playfully winked. She didn't wait for the teenager's reaction before pulling her to their next destination.

She was sincerely happy for the Fourth Young Miss' return. Although the Madam had adopted Third Young Miss Xie Shuang to fill in the empty place of the lost daughter, that could never truly resolve the emptiness as well as the grief in the Madam's heart.

***
Note:
Comparison of strength – Mutants : Ability Users (Usually attack in groups)
C-Class = Under 3rd Rank
B-Class = 3~4th Rank ability users (Usually attack in groups)
A-Class = 5~6th Rank ability users
AA-Class = 7~8th Rank ability users
AAA-Class = 8~9th Rank Ability Users
S-Class = 9~10th Rank Ability Users
SS-Class = 11~12th Rank Ability Users
SSS-Class = 13th Rank Ability Users
(Will upload an auxiliary chapter dedicated for these kind of informations soon! Check: Terms and Rankings!)