[29] Screw Your Fate

Facing the legendary magus of flowers, a sage revered by everyone in Britannia, Reinhard, now named Alvin, had no flattering thoughts. Instead, his attitude appeared unusually indifferent. After all, his time with Artoria had made Alvin acutely aware of the girl's tumultuous background. The twisted moral perspective was undoubtedly the result of someone's misguided teachings.

Therefore, Alvin harbored no goodwill towards Merlin, the half-incubus.

Uther and Merlin, were indeed two precious individuals. Alvin felt that they bore a significant responsibility for Artoria's warped personality. Things that were not human were playing with human emotions. Such actions were nauseating.

"Oh dear, are you angry? Don't be mad, Alvin. I won't ask..."

The magus chuckled with narrowed eyes.

"After all, during this time, my lovely Lily has been under your care. You haven't harmed her, so naturally, I have no reason to harm you either."

With these words, the magus then put on an expression that seemed like a regretful sigh.

"But, as Lily's teacher, I can't let you continue staying by her side. I hope you won't be too saddened by this. I just came here to inform you of this."

"I see, well..."

Hearing this, Alvin couldn't help but smile. The curve at the corner of his mouth was filled with sarcasm, and his ash-gray eyes were brimming with mockery.

"So, you can be afraid too, Merlin... I thought incubus's heart didn't understand what fear meant."

"Oh?"

Merlin tilted his head, intrigued, and asked, "I didn't even realize it myself. So, tell me, Alvin, what am I afraid of?"

"You're afraid that I'll continue to let Artoria learn more truths, see through your hypocritical rhetoric, and further question the necessity of becoming a king."

Alvin sneered...

"After all, this thing called 'king' originally has no meaningful existence. It's just a lie fabricated by people hoping someone would step up to shoulder everything."

"Tsk~ That's not how you should put it..." Merlin shook his head disapprovingly, "Becoming a king and then saving Britannia is Lily's destined fate."

The casually spoken words faded away.

...As if the wind also subsided along with them.

Looking at Merlin's smiling face.

Alvin remained silent for a long time before repeating those two words, somewhat incredulous, skeptical, and softly spoken.

"Fate...? In your eyes, Merlin... This is, 'fate'...?"

Before encountering Merlin.

The former Alvin believed that perhaps the limitations of the times led to Artoria's tragedy. The narrow perspective of the heroic view only focused on the outcome of winning or losing. After all, it was the Middle Ages, so even the great sage Merlin might not understand that a suitable political system and doctrine were the true essentials for leading people forward.

Wanting to obtain an 'ideal king.'

In the eyes of the people of this era, it was only natural.

However, at this moment.

Knowing that Merlin, like himself, possessed the miraculous Clairvoyance.

The half-incubus uttered this word.

Finally, Alvin felt the long-lost anger.

Fate.

Only you, Merlin...