papers

i was sitting on the floor finishing Alastors freindship braclet when mom walked in with a worried look on her face. i set the braclet down and look at her. "everything okay mom?" she sighed and sat down next to me.

"sweetie i'm gettng ready to do somthing that might upset your father greatly." i looked at her now worried knowing the more angry dad is the more dangerous he is. "what are you going to do?" 

she takes a deep breath before taking a paper out of her pocket. she hands it to me and i stare at it before looking back at her. "mom..i don't know how to read any of this." she sighs and takes the picture back. "it's divorce papers..do you know what that is?" 

i nod. "yeah one of the kids at school parents got divorced." she nods and hugs me. "i promise i'm going to get us away from him." she whispers and i pat her back hugging her back. "why did you marry him in the first place?" 

she pulls away with a sad smile on her face. "he was a difrent man back then..a man i wanted to spend the rest of my life with." i look at my hands. "i'm the reason he changed?" i ask looking up at her with tears. 

she looks at me shocked before picking me up and setting me in her lap. "no sweetie it's not your fault you've done nothing wrong...some people are just mean." she wraps her arms around me and sets her head on top of mine.

i close my eyes and wipe my tears after a few minutes she pulls back and looks at me. "when i do this i don't want you to be anywhere near your dad so i'm going to take you to a friends house are you okay with that?" 

i think for a minute. "but then i won't be there to protect you." she gives me a small smile and puts her hand on my cheek. "i'll be fine baby." i wrap my arms around her neck and hug her tightly. "what if he hurts you..what if-" 

she pats my back. "we can't let what if's stop us from moving on with life." i nod and lay my head on her chest. "just be careful.." she pets my head. "i will and i promise i'll be back." i nod and look up at her. 

"when are you going to take me to your friends house?" she smiles slightly. "tommrow when your dad leaves on his bussniess...now remember you can't tell anyone about where your going or that this is happening." i nod and stand up.

"promise?" i smile at her. "i promise." she stands up as the front door opens. we both frown knowing exactly who it is. "stay here until dinner kay?" she says looking down at me and i nod. most kids this would be a punishment but she's trying to protect me. 

i sit back down and countine the braclet which i've almost finished and i think it's coming along quite nicely. as i'm on the last row of colors Alastor appears and i hide the braclet. "hello, dear." he says in his normal cheery tone.

"hi, Al." i say as i stand up and hug him. his whole body tenses up before he relaxs and pats my back. "you sure look happy to see me, dear." i let go and sit on my bed. "I just need a distraction." Alastor sits next to me.

"what's troubling you, little fawn?" i sigh and look down. "i guess i can tell you..but you have to promise not to tell anyone kay?" he nods and i start explaining how my dad is abusive to both me and my mother and how mom is going to take me to a friends house then ask for a divorce.

Alastor gives me a sympathetic look. "i understnad what your going through..minus the divorce part." i look at him suprised. "you had an abusive parent to?" he nods. "my dad hit both me and my mother." i pay his arm in attempt to comfort him as i see his smile flater slightly.

"i'm fine, dear." he said as his smile returned to it's normal size. i look at the flooor as i start to swing my legs back and forth. theres a minute of comfabtle sclince thats inturpeted by a loud bang from downstairs.

i feel my heart stop as i stare at my bedroom door in fear wondering if i should go down stairs and check or stay in the savety of my room. i feel myself get pulled into a hug by Alastor. i look up  at him and he pats my head. 

"i'll protect you." he says and i smile leaning into his hug and hugging him back. he's a suprisingly good hugger. after a minute theres another loud bang and i jump off my bed and out of the comforting hug towards my door. as i'm about to open the door i'm stopped by Alastors staff being put infron of me. 

"let me check, dear." i nod and he dissappears as i go back and sit on my bed. i wait for him and after a minute he teleports next to me. "she's alright, dear." i nod and sigh. "did he hit her again." Alastor nods his smile flattering slightly.

"i just feel useless..like theres nothing i can do about it." i say wiping the tears that are now starting to fall from my e/c eyes. "don't forget to smile, dear." Alastor says as he taps the top of my head with his staff.

"Alastor..am i useless?" he sits next to me and looks me in the eyes. "no, dear and whoever told you that is a liar." i smile at him and wipe my teary eyes. "Alastor?" i say preapring my qeustion. "hm?" he reponds with a hum. 

"do you promise to always be my friend?" he pats my head. "i promise my dear." i smile up at him.