Chapter 8 - Blind Banker part 4

"It's been here since Monday." Sherlock remarked, studying the sogginess of the paper and droplets. Then, he went to press a buzzer with his leather glove, "No-one's been in that flat for at least three days."

"Could've gone on holiday."

"John, do you leave your windows open when you go on holiday?" Y/n asked rhetorically

Meanwhile, Sherlock glanced around the building and noticed a small alleyway that led to the back of it. Soo Lin was probably not going to answer that doorbell anyways, so he had to take matters into his own hands. Once at the rear of the building, he looked up and noticed a sort of ladder leading up to Soo Lin's flat. He jumped up and grabbed the end, pulling it several times before it touched the ground of the alley. He hastily climbed the steps, leaving Y/n and John behind. Once he arrived, the ladder went back to its original high position. 

"Sherlock!" John exclaimed, unable to follow Sherlock. He turned round and dashed back into the main street whilst Y/n stayed, poised and calculating. She found a long metal rod and used it to pull the ladder back down and clambered up rapidly to reach the flat. Noises of a struggle reached her ears inside of it. She paled and the thoughts of the worst traversed her mind. 

She rushed in and found Sherlock struggling on the floor, being strangled by a small man who tightened a scarf around his neck. Y/n rushed at him and kicked in the knees, watching him crumble on the carpet. The man stood back up and swung his fist at Y/n, missing by a millimeter before jumping over Sherlock and advance towards her. She grabbed his arm and twisted it, pushing him backwards into a small tea table. He crashed loudly and lay there not moving. Y/n immediately dashed to check on Sherlock who inhaled raspy breaths irregularly. 

"Aak!" Y/n gasped, falling backwards. The fabric cut into her neck and little by little her airways started to block, unable to help her breath. She gasped louder, twisting her nimble fingers under the fabric to pull it away from her but the hold tightened. Her view started becoming faint and her surroundings were misting over. She kept fighting, punching and clawing at her assailant with all the might that was leaving her body. Her eyes started to cloud and the world was about to turn dark. She saw a black paper origami flower being neatly placed next to her head. 

So she was going to die. 

But Sherlock had it differently. He stumbled to his feet and slammed his fist into the man's face, hearing a satisfying crunching noise. The man's hold on Y/n's neck loosened and he dashed out of the window. When he was sure everyone had gone, Sherlock bent down and pressed his fingers on Y/n's neck and wrist checking her pulse and breathing. 

"Y/n can you hear me?" he asked calmly, trying to quell the panic rising in him. "Y/n?" 

Y/n coughed loudly and with great difficulty lifted her head from the floor, hair dripping in front of her. 

"I'm fine..." she exhaled, her voice dry and raspy. 

He cupped her cheeks and made her look into his blue eyes deeply, "Are you sure?" 

"Yeah.." she answered, starting to pull herself to her feet. Sherlock stepped back a little but felt the urge to press her close, protect her as if she was the most precious being on Earth. Something had propelled him to hurt the one who had hurt her, to protect her. Something made her matter to him. 

And it scared him. 

. 。・゜✭・.・✫゜・。.

Later, they opened the door downstairs, faced with a furious John. Y/n stumbled a little and did her best to hide the rising unease inside of her. John glared at them for a while, oblivious to the fact that they had nearly died.