6 - Acquainting With the Surface

You know how it is when you buy a gadget for the very first time and have absolutely no idea how it works or how to use it?

That was exactly what everything was like to an Atlantean.

To Orm, the surface was a new gadget.

He had no clue how anything worked. Well, not anything – many things. The good part was he learned super fast, but it was adorable to watch him fiddle cluelessly. I gave him the TV remote and he stared at me like I'd handed him a live snake.

“You wanna explore the surface, you gotta know what stuff is up here too.” I stated.

“What is this?” That was his go-to question. He asked the same when I showed him the toaster, the dishwasher, the cooker – that one startled him more than the rest because fire popped out unexpectedly – the washing machine, and my video game console.

“These are actual people?” He frowned, watching the figures throw punches.

“No, virtual people.” I replied. “They're computer based, modeled to resemble people.”

“Strange!” That was also his go-to comment. “And you control them with that?”

“Mmhm.” I surrendered the game pad. “Wanna try? That button kicks, that one throws a punch, that sidesteps and does a sick flip, and that one ducks.”

He followed my instructions and actually won the game. I applauded and he watched me with a raised eyebrow.

Just then, Supe woke up. I excused myself to give him food and medicine. Oddly, he did not bark at the sight of a new face. His eyes only stayed on Orm and vice versa.

“Do you have to physically care for it often?” He inquired. “It cannot go out and hunt for food?”

“Hunt?” I laughed. “No, he's a domestic dog. He's meant to be physically cared for.”

“And what does he do for you in return?”

I stared at Supe. He had been my only comfort and friend since my parents passed. My mother adopted him for me a few months after I crossed twenty because since teenage hood I'd dreamed of getting my own pet. Though at the time, we couldn't afford one.

“He's my best friend.” I rubbed his snout and he licked my fingers.

The sound of Orm rising made me turn. “I must take my leave now.”

I stood up too. “Where will you go?”

“I have a place where I lay low for the meantime. I believe it would be rude for me to bother you any longer.”

“You're not bothering me at all. I like that you're here.” I thinned my lips. Jesus, Rosy!

Fortunately and at last, Orm smiled. “That means I'm not a very uptight person as some people believe.”

I went to him. “No, you're not. . . always.”

He smiled briefly again and held out a hand. “I will see you tomorrow then, Mary-Rose.”

I did likewise, but instead he grabbed my forearm, as if we were Vikings forming a pact. Sheepishly, I took his hand and repositioned it the correct way.

“That's how to shake hands.” I said with a smile.

“Huhn!” He exclaimed, releasing my hand. “Well, thank you. There just might be a thousand things you could teach me.”

“Might be.”

He nodded respectfully at Supe, then headed out.

In the morning, I received a call from Marta. She said Locknell had agreed to let me off work for just five days and that if I stayed longer, he would find my replacement. After that, Milton called to inform me that Mr Irving's lawyer had come to see him about their desire to purchase the house within the week since Project Playground needed to kick off.