8 - Dalliance

When I woke again, I was wrapped in a blanket. Taking it off made me realize why I was wrapped in it to begin with. The temperature had dropped so much I thought it was suddenly winter.

In the living room – a small space with sparse furniture and no electronics – I found Orm standing next to a table, sipping something hot out of a mug. From the smell, I knew it was hot cocoa. Given how brilliant he was, I didn't need to ask how he managed to make it.

Supe was asleep on one of the couches. He no longer wore a bandage, and I couldn't see his stab wound anymore. That made me check on my own stab wound. It was gone. Orm's underwater remedies had worked wonders.

“I have a strange question.” I piped, hugging my blanket closer.

Orm turned. He seemed oblivious to the cold. I doubted he even knew it was cold. “Which is?”

“Do you eat seafood?”

He looked at me funny and it cracked me up in an instant. I really thought his expressions were wholesome and funny. I was relieved when he smiled back.

“Shrimp.” He replied.

“Where'd you learn to fight like that?” I settled into the other couch. It was smaller than the one Supe slept in.

Orm strolled to stand behind me and leaned against the back. “I am of royal blood. It is expected of me to train harder than others. I have a people to defend.”

I ogled up at him. From that angle, he looked younger. He handed me his cup of cocoa.

“Thank you. So, you are a prince?”

“My mother is queen so yes, I am.” He came to sit next to me. “What did your mother do for a living?”

I looked down as vivid memory resurfaced. “She was a teacher. Taught me when I was 5 til I turned 10 then she resigned and became a jewelry retailer. She used to save the prettiest pieces for me.”

Inadvertently, I touched my neck. Bill had snatched my necklace the night he attacked me and Supe. It broke my heart all over again.

“What is it?” Orm prodded. His fingertips were always touching.

“The last one she gave me, I'd been wearing it for six years and counting.” I looked at him and tried to mask how sad I felt. “Bill took it.”

He suddenly snarled. “That beast has no form of self-restraint, I see. His face is the kind I like to smash my fist into for fun.”

I chuckled. “That's also something I'd like to watch for fun.”

He looked at me longer than usual. I figured I'd melted into human wax.

“Did you learn anything from the people you called?” He asked then scowled. “I tried to use a. . . what did you say it was called?”

“The telephone.” I reminded.

He nodded. “It's worse than the boaster.”

“Toaster.” I corrected.

He made a careless grunt. “Whatever. Did anyone say anything useful?”

I'd almost forgotten about our deal. Luckily, my parents had known people in real estate business. I wasn't even aware until I'd pulled out their old phone book.

“I found two. We could go look at them tomorrow. I'll call the restaurant and tell them I'm taking two days off. Extra.”

“That's a relief.” He leaned back, still looking at me. “I would have hated to discuss such matters alone with strangers. I doubt my patience would hold long enough.”