13 - Undersea Level Threats

That night, it rained heavily.

My eyes snapped open because I sensed someone whispering into my ear. Then I recognized it was just Orm's breathing.

His compact frame wedged me like a wall from behind, exuding heat across my back. I was locked in a secure grip with his face lolled tiredly against my shoulder and tiny vibrations on my exposed skin that told me he snored. The downpour was so loud I couldn't hear it.

Thunder rumbled, lightning crackled and sent murderous flashes across the room. They gave me uncomfortable little jumps, but I felt safe in Orm's grasp.

Supe was asleep near the other couch, wrapped in a blanket. I wanted to pet him yet he was too far from reach and when I moved, Orm subconsciously drew me back in.

I stayed put, wallowing in my warm nest. The sad image of my house being demolished came to my mind and a tear ran down my face that fell onto Orm's arm. I watched in surprise as it dried up on his skin. I wasn't sure he felt it, but his arm jerked in reaction.

I looked down and caught a quick silhouette pass by the window. My eyes lifted slowly.

They were here.

This could as well be the last time I ever saw Orm. I wished he would find some other alternative than surrender; a way to evade his pursuers and live freely on the surface. The last thing I wanted was for him to cower before brutal force. In truth, it would reflect what happened to me – losing to Irving – and I couldn't stand the idea.

I wriggled whilst turning to face him and watched his sleeping form. “Orm.”

He made soft grunting noises and did not wake. The shadow passed by the window again. I pecked him continuously, until he began to stir. “Orm?”

“Hmm.” His lazy eyelids dragged open.

I hated to have disturbed his sleep and tried to keep my voice as gentle as possible. “They're here.”

His eyes brightened. Every trace of sleep fell from it. He tried to rise, but I held him fast. My own eyes were sad.

“What are you going to do?”

The question stumped him. I could see that he fought with both instinct and reason at the same time. He was twitching to ready for defense. I could feel it. Just the same, he was thinking it through.

“We can't win, Mary-Rose.” He whispered.

“I'm not asking you to win.” I caressed his chin. “I'm asking you to not give up. . . on me. Choose me, Orm.”

He blinked as if his lids really were weak. When he rose, he pulled me along.

I roused Supe as quietly as possible and put his leash on him. Orm passed me a coat since I was simply in a nightgown and disappeared into his bedroom.

Moments later, he reemerged wearing a cool kind of armor then placed a hand to his lips to shush Supe. My husky put a sock in it.

“We have to be stealthy.” He whispered.

The back door led out to strewn gravel and little pools of water. Orm went ahead of Supe and I, bashing heads as usual. This time, his attackers were soldiers in golden robotic armor, but I could've sworn I glimpsed blue skin beneath the transparent headgear.

He took my hand and made a shushing gesture again. We were slowly going around the cabin to get to the front, where we could take the cliff roads and disappear into a woody area. I hoped the soldiers could not survive long enough to chase us.

Opting to help, I picked up a rod from somewhere in the back. Orm gestured to his face, and I immediately understood. When he punched a soldier my way, I shattered the transparent glass frame of their protective helmet, spilling water everywhere. They shriveled long enough for us to proceed farther.