15 - A Christmas Miracle

My gift was a very old treasure chest.

It looked as though it were pulled right out of the bottom of the ocean after spending decades there. The fact that it was covered in seaweed and algae made it all the more special. No one else could ever own a similar box.

It took a few days. I couldn't bring myself to open it because when I looked at it, my heart broke.

But at last, I did.

On a dark stormy night similar to one I'd seen before, I flipped the lid and covered my mouth to keep from screaming. Inside, Atlantean coins were piled so high they slipped to the ground.

Wedged near the lid was a smaller box; newer, black and tied with a ribbon. I opened it too and found my old necklace, or at least, one that looked like it. I had no clue he had noticed it at all.

I clicked it around my neck, watching Supe sniff the coins, perhaps wondering if they were edible.

“Know what those smell like, boy?” I wiped my teary eyes over and over. He stared at me. “Lots of treats.”

I bought myself a new car – a decent minivan – and touched up the cabin to look a lot homier. It turned out the cabin belonged to Arthur. He had Atlanna work some documents that transferred ownership to my name.

Other than that, she paid me frequent visits.

I loved to see her and appreciated her soothing presence and concern. It was odd though, to watch her do absolutely normal things. Hard to imagine the Queen of Atlantis playing catch with my dog, but she loved Supe and vice versa.

Two months later, I applied for college – an entire rollercoaster on its own. I asked to pay Liv to dogsit Supe whenever I took classes, but she was happy to do it for free instead. Also, she informed me that the stupid playground the Irvings wanted to build was seized by the state government for a VIP project, forcing the liar, Joaquín, to turn his interest somewhere.

That news made me happy.

Although it had always been a desire of mine since the end of high school, I soon realized that college was an unnecessary waste of time. I didn't quite like it, though I stayed because I would be idle if I left.

Bit by bit, early classes on Mondays turned to fun Saturdays with Supe and infrequent Sundays with the Currys that also transitioned to holidays at Jody's; and birthdays with everyone put together.

And before I knew it, I was graduating college after four years.

Time seemed to have slipped by in a hurry when I wasn't looking.

Then came the decision of what to do with my life. I considered returning to work at The Wipeout just to be closer to memory as I was at the cabin, but some invisible force forced me into containment.

Three more bedrooms and a little pantry were added to the cabin so that it was as spacious as the Curry Lighthouse. I love elbow room. I changed the carpets and curtains, a few furniture, the dining area, hung tapestry, renewed paints on the inside and tarred the pavement so that it was easier to walk to the door. All else remained the same.

In spite of all that, a lot of nights were spent in that little room. I slept on the couch that gradually lost its scent of sea salt. Every passing day saw me missing Orm worse than I did when he first left.

Oftentimes, I dared to think he would never return. I dared to try and move on because I believed I was wasting my years alone, but then again, the part of my memory that had recorded his voice would replay the exact words he'd spoken that morning on the shore.

Wait for me, Mary-Rose. Don't give up just yet.

I visited Locknell, who suddenly seemed to grow spineless at the sight of me. I believe money spoke as much volumes as actions did. I wasn't wealthy like the Irvings, but I sure had enough money to buy The Wipeout and hand Locknell some change in thousands. Like Milton, he was a bloodhound and could sense dollar bills from a mile away.

“What a surprise, Rosy.” He exclaimed with a fake chuckle when I walked in the door. Now you remember my name, punk!

My former co-workers stared at me with wide eyes. Perhaps I looked very different than the Rosy they'd been working with four years back. I took note of new faces too; faces that didn't know who I was either.

“Hey, Don! Hi, Bobby” I greeted the Wagners. Rachelle and Marta were gone, leaving just Louise. I said hello to her too.

I strolled over to my former boss. He might've been an ass for a long time, but I needed him for what I was going to do. “I came to ask a favor, Locknell.”

He shivered as he laughed. “Anything.”

What I needed was to find Bill. I know, it took me four years to arrest the man who stabbed my dog and assaulted me repeatedly, but time didn't matter so much. Besides, I was far too focused on my personal growth than I was a negative experience. I knew the time would come when I would make Bill pay, but he did not.

He wasn't expecting the police when he recklessly pulled up into The Wipeout parking lot. Locknell was sort of also one of Bill's victims because he was often orally abused by the punk. He gladly left a statement too upon my request and was grinning from ear to ear as he watched Bill get taken away.

I spent my first Christmas at the cabin with Supe. Marta helped me put up decorations on Christmas Eve before she left for Philadelphia. Her choice for a tree had been too big to fit inside the house so I opted to drive out and get a new one.

When I returned, it was already dark.

I watched the sea – a new habit – as I lugged the little tree toward the front door, heaving breaths of effort and cold smoke.

“Need some assistance?”

I froze and let the tree drop from my hands. Standing nearest the pavement in a blue shirt and hoodie, and his handsome face clean shaven was Orm.

I couldn't move at all. He felt unreal, staring at me with a squint.

He held out a hand. “Will you come to me or do I go to you?”

The question broke me out of whatever spell kept me rooted. I ran around the tree and basically flew into his open arms, tears of pure joy spilling out of my eyes. He gripped me tight and caressed my hair.

“I can't believe you're here.” I wept, fawning over his face and touching him repeatedly to make sure it wasn't a dream.

He chuckled. “You want more proof?” And kissed me. I'd never ever enjoyed the taste of salt so much.

“I missed you.” I pressed my face against the side of his own. “Everyday.”

“As did I. It's good to see you again, Mary-Rose.”

I laughed happily and threw my arms around him again. The vacuum inside me slowly filled up, making me feel suddenly alive. Until then, I hadn't realized I'd been so dead.

“Now, what do you want with the tree?”

“It's Christmas Eve.” I looked back at the pine lying on the ground.

Orm frowned a little. “Let me guess, some human tradition that requires you to cut down a whole tree and then discard it later on?”

I laughed again, staring at his confused face. “I really did miss you.” I took his hand. “Come on. I'll tell you what Christmas is.”

“I'm not sure I want to know, but if it's coming from you then it has to be worth it.”

While Supe said hello to Orm, I went back outside to lug the pine tree back in and stared at the beach covered in snow. It might've taken a long time, but everything had made sense at last. I had Orm again. I felt complete.

It was either meant to be, or it was a Christmas miracle.

However, I was happy with both.

Braving The Storm
Copyright ©2024 by Jaq Willow