Chapter 4 - Visitor Again

On the day after receiving news that two battleships had been canceled in the Circle 3 Plan by Navy Minister Nagano, and instead, two aircraft carriers were increased to four, Vice Admiral Yamamoto was informed that a man calling himself Ryūkaku Hiranuma was seeking an audience. With impeccable timing, as if planned, there was certainly no coincidence. Yamamoto immediately postponed other matters to meet with Hiranuma, and after dismissing the attendants, he faced him.

"Finally, it seems you've made use of the ledger. However, whether it's Circle 1 or Circle 2 Plan, if you had used them, the Sōryū-class carriers might have become four by now. That's regrettable. Now, to the main point, Vice Admiral Yamamoto. I thought you might have something to ask me, so I came here suddenly today."

With only a brief greeting, Hiranuma threw a straight pitch. For Yamamoto, who did not want to waste time, it was a welcome consideration.

"Personally, what I want to know the most is the true nature of the documents. And how did you figure out why I used the documents? Above all, who exactly are you? But let's leave that aside. You'll just evade it anyway. Now, I ask you not as Isoroku Yamamoto but as a Vice Admiral of the Imperial Navy. Do you have the wisdom to use the documents optimally or to prepare the best possible defense for the Imperial Navy?"

Yamamoto's question was, in essence, a delegated question. For a senior officer who hated outsiders interfering in military matters, especially in terms of strategy and defense, this behavior was unusual. Perhaps surprised by this, or maybe it was unexpected, Hiranuma's face twitched.

'Is this man capable of emotions too?'

Yamamoto, who had thought of him as stone-faced, was relieved by the change in his expression. The person in front of him, whom he had suspected might be something otherworldly, like a god or a demon, seemed to be an entity with human emotions after all.

"Yamamoto-san, you canceled the construction of the Yamato and Musashi which were on the chopping block of the Circle 3 Plan, and the budget was allocated to strengthen aviation defense. There's nothing special to say about that. It's undeniable that airplanes will become the main force of the future. However, if possible, I recommend diverting some of that to the development budget for various weapons. Both the Navy and the Army will not survive without the introduction of new technologies such as radar. Also, did you read the book that I gave you along with the ledger?"

"Ah, yes, I read it last night. Thanks to that, I'm a bit sleep-deprived now," Yamamoto complained.

"Your Chronicle of Intense Reflection, which can be likened to a fictional war chronicle from our perspective, was a very intriguing read. I particularly agree with the fact that the side holding air superiority always had the upper hand. And the key to that air superiority lies in the fighter planes, for which appropriate information support is crucial to fully utilize their capabilities. This, in turn, is the essence of air traffic control, and to achieve it, items such as radar and high-performance communication devices become necessary. I was also surprised by the concepts of the PPI scope on the radar display and the IFF system to identify friend or foe. Furthermore, the discussion on the naval escort battle between anti-submarine vessels and submarines in the open sea was also interesting. It became clear to me that reducing the self-noise generated by the hull and machinery is crucial to enhancing the detection capability of sonar equipment for locating enemy submarines. Additionally, the idea of using multi-dispersion mortar-type depth charges as forward-throw anti-submarine weapons is something that should definitely be implemented. Given that our country heavily relies on imports for resources, submarine countermeasures have become an urgent task. Oh, and whether it's air traffic control or submarine tactics, the inclusion of clear illustrations allowed for easy visualization. In any case, the Imperial Navy should promptly advance research on these two matters."

Yamamoto expressed admiration toward other aspects mentioned in the Chronicle of Intense Reflection, such as a real-time battlefield display system using chess pieces and transparent acrylic boards, as well as references to aircraft carriers' angled decks and catapults. He conveyed a look of appreciation to Hiranuma for these discussions.

"While I greatly appreciate your commendations, Yamamoto-san, development costs for innovations in air traffic control and anti-submarine weapons are considerable. You have allocated the surplus from abandoning the construction of two large battleships in favor of building two aircraft carriers entirely to the aviation-related budget. However, if you divert half of these funds to the development budget for items such as radar, catapults, and anti-submarine weapons, practical implementation would progress significantly. Oh, and don't forget about aircraft engines, communication devices, new machine guns, and bulletproof equipment. Of course, the number of deployable aircraft will decrease, but advancing the development of radar, excellent communication devices, and anti-submarine weapons would be much more beneficial for the Imperial Navy. On this matter, I strongly recommend revising the budget allocation in the documents."

In response to Hiranuma's slightly insistent tone, Yamamoto nodded in agreement. Quality is just as important as quantity when it comes to weapons. Aircraft, aircraft carriers, and submarines are no exceptions, and Yamamoto understood this without needing Hiranuma's reminder.

After confirming Yamamoto's positive attitude, Hiranuma quickly informed him of his intention to leave. Perhaps considering it was an impromptu meeting, he thought it best not to prolong the conversation. His adeptness at reading the situation had not changed since their first meeting.

Hiranuma left the room, leaving behind a metaphorical bomb for Yamamoto.

"Oh, by the way, Yamamoto-san. I forgot to mention one thing. The paint on Imperial Navy vessels is flammable. Also, the insulation on electrical wires not only burns but can spread fire throughout the ship via the circuits, making it quite troublesome. I recommend implementing countermeasures as soon as possible."