Chapter 34 - Overkill

"A formation of around ten planes, divided into two groups, and another formation of about ten aircraft, slightly behind, is heading towards you. They appear to be enemy interceptors. Their altitude is the same as ours or slightly higher."

The Zeros launching from the Shōkaku, Zuikaku, Kamikaku, and Amakaku were flying at a higher altitude in response to the urgent report from the Type 1 recon plane in charge of reconnaissance in advance. The fighters from the Kaga, Sōryū, and Hiryū stayed close to the Type 1 attack planes, maintaining a defensive posture.

The first attack group launched from the 2nd Air Fleet, as expected, encountered enemy interceptors before even sighting the Eastern Fleet. From the narrowed nose, they seem to be either Sea Hurricanes or Seafires with liquid-cooled engines. The thick-nosed Zeros and the slender-nosed British fighters thus intertwined in the skies over the Indian Ocean. Although the Zeros have a numerical advantage, the opponents are formidable individuals who have survived intense battles against the reputedly powerful German Luftwaffe. Many of them are not to be equated with the rookie pilots of the American carrier task force in their first combat. It was anticipated that a considerable number of enemy fighters might penetrate the Zero fighter defense network and approach them.

Although worries about such a scenario crossed the mind of Lieutenant Commander Hashiguchi, the commander of the first attack squadron and the leader of the Kaga air group, it seemed those concerns were unfounded. With carriers Kaga, Sōryū, and Hiryū providing protective cover and showing no significant movements, the Zero fighter squadrons of the 5th and 6th Carrier Divisions are likely engaging in at least evenly matched combat against the British fighter squadrons.

Departing from the combat zone where the Japanese and British fighter squadrons are dueling, the aircrew of the first attack squadron glimpses two fleets in their field of view. Both fleets were turning their bows westward, seemingly trying to keep their distance from the 2nd Air Fleet.

'It appears they are trying to distance themselves, perhaps due to the failed surprise, that is, a night torpedo attack that exposed their position, and now they are hastily retreating.'

Making this judgment, Hashiguchi invited his wingmen to the mobile task force with two carriers.

"The attack will be carried out by the Funryū team. The 5th Carrier Division goes first, followed by the 6th Carrier Division, then the 2nd Carrier Division, and finally the 1st Carrier Division. The 5th Carrier Division should target destroyers squadron by squadron, the 6th Carrier Division aims for cruisers by squadrons, the 2nd Carrier Division goes for the aircraft carriers, and the 1st Carrier Division focuses on battleships. Follow Lieutenant Commander Kusumi's instructions for the torpedo bombers."

Before Hashiguchi finished his order, the Shōkaku and Zuikaku squadrons divided into small units and pointed their noses at the British destroyers. The targeted British destroyers tried to fire their main guns at the approaching Type 1 attack planes, but the accuracy and bullet density were simply inadequate. Unlike the American destroyers, which are equipped with dual-purpose guns considering both anti-ship and anti-air combat, the main guns of the British destroyers are anti-surface guns. Therefore, it seems like they are just shooting upwards. All eighteen Type 1s from Shōkaku and Zuikaku successfully launched their Funryū-1s without any losses.

In the Battle of Brisbane, a significant number of Funryū-1s experienced malfunctions during flight and dropping off before they could target enemy ships. The Imperial Navy's high command took this matter seriously and promptly instructed the technical department to identify the issues. However, not much time has passed since the Battle of Brisbane, and thorough countermeasures have not been implemented yet.

Among the eighteen launched, four experienced troubles in their radio communication or propulsion systems and fell afterward. However, the remaining fourteen hit their targets. They penetrated the decks or sides of the British destroyers one after another. Even a single hit causes damage, and some ships are hit by all the projectiles.

With the destruction of all destroyers, cracks appeared in the circular formation. Seizing the gap, the Kamikaku and Amakaku squadrons approached two cruisers, the Cornwall and Dorsetshire. Both ships are typical heavy cruisers equipped with eight 20-centimeter guns, constructed during the disarmament era. Although the two heavy cruisers have formidable anti-air capabilities compared to destroyers, none of the Type 1 carrier attack planes hit their targets before launch. Dorsetshire managed to shoot down just one aircraft guiding the Funryū-1.

Targeted by a number of Type 1s, which outnumbered destroyers threefold, the two heavy cruisers were struck by numerous Funryū-1s in a very short period. Cornwall took six hits, while Dorsetshire took five. The hits concentrated around the smokestacks on both ships. Below the smokestacks were the boilers that powered the ships. For a cruiser weighing around 10.000 tons, taking almost a ton of explosive payload concentrated in the vital part of the ship, the heart of the ship, and with a 300-kilogram explosive projectile, it was difficult to withstand. Though the ultimate misfortune of a boiler explosion did not occur, Cornwall and Dorsetshire undoubtedly suffered fatal blows.

After the attacks from the 5th and 6th Carrier Divisions, the Sōryū and Hiryū squadrons of the 2nd Carrier Division targeted the Indomitable and Formidable, respectively. Before launch, the eighth plane of Sōryū was shot down by a near miss of high-explosive anti-aircraft shells, but this seemed to be the limit of the British carriers. Of the seventeen missiles launched by the 2nd Carrier Division, three experienced troubles and dropped out. However, eleven of the remaining fourteen targeted the two British carriers. All missiles hit the starboard side, with most concentrating on the bridge or just below on the side. Unlike the flight deck, the bridge, essentially unprotected, cannot endure multiple hits from the missiles. The bridges collapsed, and the originally island-type carriers, the Indomitable and Formidable, hastily transformed into flush-deck carriers.

As the attacks from other squadrons concluded, Hashiguchi's Kaga squadron, still intact, shifted to assault the battleships. Generally, battleships have more extensive anti-aircraft weaponry compared to cruisers or destroyers. The battleship below is no exception. The sixth plane was caught in the blast radius of anti-aircraft shells before launching its payload and scattered over the Indian Ocean. However, the remaining eight Type 1 carrier attack planes continued to release the Funryū-1s without hesitation.

While two dropped out due to mechanical issues, the remaining six all flew around the smokestacks one after another. Certainly, similar to the two heavy cruisers, the Kaga's crew intentionally aimed for this. Explosions occurred successively, and when it was over, the battleships emitted thick smoke and rapidly lost speed. Then, Kusumi's torpedo squadron approached.

Of the six destroyers hit by the fierce assault of the Funryū-1s, two, having taken three hits, were being dragged underwater. The other four, taking one or two hits, were either crawling on the surface or drifting at sea. The two cruisers were not visible through the smoke, but the inevitable outcome was clear. The two carriers have had their command centers, the bridge, shattered, and while emitting long trails of smoke, they have become mere targets, moving straight ahead. The battleship was also crawling forward, and it was undeniable that it had suffered significant damage.

'A heavily damaged main force with three capital ships and half-disabled destroyers with four. There is no way that the seasoned sixty-three torpedo bombers will fail.'

Hashiguchi was convinced that he was completely right.