Chapter 48 - Shōwa 17

Germany generously shared a portion of the wealth it looted from Britain with the Japanese government. This gesture reflected Germany's high appreciation for the efforts of the Japanese European Expeditionary Fleet. For the Japanese government and the Ministry of Finance, which were troubled by the procurement of war funds and foreign currency shortages, this was nothing short of a godsend, an immensely welcome development. Additionally, the Imperial Navy, which had contributed significantly to the downfall of Britain, also reaped significant benefits.

When the armistice agreement was reached between Britain and the Axis powers, the British Royal Navy had four fleet carriers and an equal number of battleships. Germany took the carriers Illustrious and Furious, while Italy took possession of the Victorious and Eagle. Both Germany and Italy were inspired by the success of the Japanese European Expeditionary Fleet task force and strongly desired carriers. Furthermore, Germany and Italy each acquired one of the two new Illustrious-class carriers currently under construction.

As for the battleships, the Queen Elizabeth was undergoing repairs in the United States, making it unavailable for requisition. However, it was possible to obtain the remaining new battleships Anson and Howe and the older battleship Valiant. Japan ended up acquiring Anson and Howe as compensation for not obtaining carriers. Regarding the Valiant, Germany and Italy offered it to Japan, but Japan declined, considering it nothing but a nuisance to receive a slow battleship at this point. Consequently, the Valiant was accepted by Italy, and their navy planned to use it as a target ship.

Additionally, Japan, Germany, and Italy divided escort vessels such as escort destroyers and sloops among themselves, with the Imperial Navy incorporating all of them into the Maritime Escort Force. Destroyers and submarines were also to be divided among the three nations. Furthermore, Japan's requests for special-purpose vessels such as repair ships and oilers were mostly fulfilled thanks to Hitler's generosity.

Regarding cruisers, Japan received eight ships, consisting of four London-class heavy cruisers and four Southampton-class light cruisers. These ships, known for their seaworthiness and good living conditions, are intended to be utilized as forces in the harsh weather conditions of the northern region.

Ships of the Imperial Navy

- Battleships

-- Yamato (ex-Anson)

-- Musashi (ex-Howe)

- Heavy Cruisers

-- Shirakami (ex-London)

-- Shirasu (ex-Devonshire)

-- Shirane (ex-Shropshire)

-- Shirouma (ex-Sussex)

- Light Cruisers

-- Takase (ex-Birmingham)

-- Naruse (ex-Glasgow)

-- Ayase (ex-Newcastle)

-- Kase (ex-Sheffield)

*In addition, there were destroyers, submarines, escort vessels, and special-purpose vessels.

With the increase in these vessels, the Imperial Navy was planning a significant reassessment of its forces. Firstly, the four slow battleships, Ise, Hyūga, Yamashiro, and Fusō, were to be converted into aircraft carriers. Currently, the Combined Fleet possesses seventeen carriers, and it is expected that four additional Shōkaku-class carriers, which began construction under the Circle 4 Plan in the latter half of next year, will join them. Japan, with its limited resources, cannot afford the luxury of having 12 battleships of little tactical value.

To convert the four old battleships into aircraft carriers, it was estimated that if it were a full-fledged modification with a two-tier hangar, the construction period would extend to one and a half years. However, in the midst of wartime, such leisurely work was not possible. Facilities capable of handling large ships like battleships were limited. Therefore, the hangar was reduced to a single tier, which would result in the expected aircraft carried to be slightly more than 40, including those to be tied to the open air on the flight deck. However, prioritizing the reduction of construction time left no choice but to accept this compromise.

Apart from the vessels, the Imperial Navy had received substantial rewards from Germany. Electrical components such as cables and plugs, communication equipment, and a considerable number of machining tools, along with high-quality lubricating oil, were provided. Especially in the realm of electrical components, which were one of the weaknesses of Japanese aircraft, the introduction of these parts was expected to improve maintainability and operational rates. Similarly, assistance in technologies such as radar and guidance weapons was facilitated.

While benefiting from Germany, Japan was also faced with a troublesome issue. Germany intended to launch a major offensive against the Soviet Union next spring after the snow thawed. At that time, they wanted Japan to abandon the Japan-Soviet Neutrality Pact and join them in attacking the Soviet Union.

It was immediately understood that what Germany expected from Japan was to cut off the Lend-Lease supplies from the United States to the Soviet Union. These supplies to the Soviet Union were mainly through three routes: the Persian Corridor, the Arctic convoys, and the North Pacific route. Of these, when Japan gained control of the Indian Ocean, the Persian Corridor was cut off. Furthermore, with Britain's withdrawal, the Arctic convoys supporting the Soviet Union also disappeared. The only remaining route was the North Pacific route, but if the Soviet Union lost this, it would suffer a decisive blow to its war capabilities.

Currently, due to the Japan-Soviet Neutrality Pact, Japan cannot interfere with Soviet transport ships traveling between the Soviet Union and the US West Coast. However, if this pact were to be revoked and war declared against the Soviet Union, attacks on Soviet transport ships would become possible.

Regarding this matter, the Japanese government and the Imperial Navy showed a cautious attitude, while the Imperial Army was very enthusiastic. Since the beginning of the war, the spotlight had always been on the Imperial Navy. Not only did it devastate the Pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbor and repel Australia with a single blow at Brisbane, but it also dealt a heavy blow to the American carrier task force. Furthermore, it annihilated the Eastern Fleet in the Indian Ocean and played a crucial role in forcing Britain out of the war in Europe.

While the Imperial Navy continued to achieve remarkable victories within just a year of the war, the Imperial Army, which had failed to subdue China for years, was perceived domestically as doing nothing significant. In fact, while naval personnel could be seen striding proudly through the streets, army personnel seemed somewhat uneasy. The Imperial Army was eager to change this situation as soon as possible, and the war against the Soviet Union seemed like a good opportunity.

Despite winning the war, Japan's policies for the future were becoming increasingly disjointed. As tumultuous Shōwa 17 (1942) came to an end, no one in Japan could accurately predict what the future held for the world.