Chapter 8 - New Aircraft

Many military personnel do not prefer civilians entering military facilities without permission. This sentiment is especially strong at the Yokosuka Naval Air Group, the headquarters of the Imperial Navy Air Service, which is responsible for the education, training, practical testing of new aircraft, and the study of combat techniques. However, the man in question is clearly a civilian and yet faces no reprimand from anyone. The response of military personnel varies greatly depending on whether the individual is acquainted with the Commander-in-Chief of the Combined Fleet, even among civilians.

"Hmm, is that the Zero fighter? It has indeed grown significantly compared to the Type 96 carrier fighter (A5M). However, speaking honestly about the impression I get from the aircraft, it doesn't seem to excel in speed performance compared to the European fighters that have already entered the 600 kilometers per hour range."

"Indeed, the Zero fighter has become considerably heavier than the Type 96 carrier fighter due to enhanced armament and protective equipment for the crew. However, it is still 100 kilometers faster compared to the previous model. Moreover, after this summer, the Model 22 equipped with a new Kinsei engine will be deployed, further improving its speed performance. Well, compared to the small-fueled and short-ranged European land-based fighters, the Zero fighter may not be considered a fast aircraft, but when viewed as a carrier-based fighter, it undoubtedly maintains world-class speed performance."

Despite being the latest state-of-the-art fighter adopted just a year ago, Ryūkaku Hiranuma did not seem particularly impressed. Yamamoto, in turn, defended the Zero while obscuring some of its specifications.

The A6M Model 11, deployed as the main Imperial Navy carrier-based fighter replacing the A5M since last year, and the Model 21, both boasted a top speed of 550 kilometers per hour powered by the Kinsei 40 engine with 1.100 horsepower. Furthermore, the upcoming Model 22, expected to appear after summer, will be equipped with the Kinsei 50 engine, and with its high output of 1.300 horsepower, its top speed approaches 570 kilometers per hour. Additionally, with the enhancement of output, acceleration performance, and climbing power have also significantly improved.

Both the Model 11 and Model 21 were equipped with four long-barreled Type 99 Mark 2 guns, and the Model 22 retains the same armament. However, while the machine guns of the Model 11 and Model 21 had 100-round drum magazines, the Model 22 used a belt-feed system, doubling the ammunition to 200 rounds. The Oerlikon autocannon, the prototype of the Type 99 Mark 2, was considered impossible to use with a belt feed due to its weak feeding force. However, the Imperial Navy and Tomioka Arsenal, which aimed at increasing the caliber of machine guns mounted on fighter aircraft, overcame this difficulty with ample funds from the Circle 3 Plan, achieving belt-feeding for the Mark 2 gun. While the conventional Model 11 and Model 21, despite having four machine guns, could only fire two at a time due to their low ammunition capacity, the Model 22 is equipped with both a 'save mode,' firing two at a time, and a full-power firing mode, allowing all four to be fired simultaneously.

"That over there beyond the Zero fighter is the Type 1 carrier attack bomber, right? The nose is clearly thicker and longer compared to the Type 96 and Type 97 carrier attack bombers. Indeed, large carrier-based aircraft with three seats require engines of this size to perform adequately."

As Hiranuma observed the fuselage, noticeably thicker and larger than the Zero, his eyes revealed an unexpected anticipation, a departure from the sentiment towards the Zero.

"Exactly. According to the manufacturer, this aircraft is based on the Type 97 carrier attack bomber, but the engine output has been increased by 50%, and the overall strength of the aircraft has significantly improved. Moreover, with enhanced bulletproof equipment, it has become an extremely resilient aircraft."

Yamamoto described the Type 1, which, while based on the design of the B5N (Type 97 carrier attack bomber), is essentially a completely new model. The engine has been upgraded from the 1.000-horsepower Sakae engine to the 1.500-horsepower Kasei engine. Boasting 50% more displacement and output than the Sakae engine, the Kasei allows the Type 1 to enhance its bulletproof equipment, including steel plates and an automatic fire extinguishing system. Furthermore, the bomb-carrying capacity has been increased from 800 kilograms in the Type 96 and Type 97 to 1.000 kilograms.

New bomb release mechanisms are also installed, allowing for the carriage of four 250 kg bombs and sixteen 60 kg bombs, both under the fuselage and wings. Moreover, the operational use of radio-guided bombs currently in the final stages of development is also feasible.

The self-defense weapons are strengthened as well, with 20 mm autocannons, similar to those on the Zero fighter, mounted on both wings, providing a counterattack capability against enemy aircraft approaching from the front. Additionally, with the destructive power of 20 mm shells, distinct from the 7,7 mm and 12,7 mm machine guns, it can deliver significant damage to small vessels and ground targets. Regarding the rear turret, it remains the conventional Type 92 7,7 mm machine gun. However, it is intended to be replaced with the ongoing development of the 13 mm machine gun.

"With a relatively large aircraft and a small bomb carrying capacity, the nuisance of carrier bombers that cannot fold their wings due to structural issues has been eliminated. This allows us to increase the number of carrier-based aircraft on carriers, albeit slightly. With that said, all that's left now are reconnaissance planes."

Hiranuma casually mentioned something that would likely anger former dive bomber pilots. In response, Yamamoto nodded with a bitter smile.

"As repeatedly emphasized in your book, the importance of reconnaissance is something we deeply agree on. Although this is top-secret information, a prototype of a reconnaissance plane modified from the Type 1 carrier attack bomber equipped with radar has already been completed. It's likely that we'll have a considerable number by the end of the year."

Upon hearing Yamamoto's words, Hiranuma displayed his most satisfied smile of the day.

"That's fantastic! In carrier-to-carrier battles, the course of the battle can change significantly based on how quickly you can spot the enemy. With the radar-equipped reconnaissance plane you mentioned, nightmares like not knowing the enemy and the enemy not knowing us would hardly occur."

Expressing words of satisfaction, Hiranuma informed Yamamoto that his business was done. At the same time, he left behind some peculiar words.

"The Type 14 Experimental Fighter won't amount to anything, so it's better to stop development right away. It'll end up being a waste of money and manpower. As for the replacement, I recommend Kawasaki's liquid-cooled fighter currently in development. If you replace the engine with the Kinsei from the liquid-cooled engine, there's no doubt it will become an excellent fighter. Also, for the main successor to the Zero fighter, I suggest placing an order with Kawanishi rather than Mitsubishi. So, I recommend withdrawing the requirements for the Type 15 Experimental Seaplane Fighter and instead entrusting them with the development of the carrier-based fighter."