1. The Biggest Failure

[Singapore Polytechnic - Design School, February 2014]

"Freedom alas!" I exclaimed, dashing out of the graphic design studio with a final goodbye wave to my lecturers. I just submitted my final year project which I had stayed up two nights for. 

Three years of blood, sweat, and tears had finally come to an end at Singapore Polytechnic's Design School. My clique - Queenie, Ivy, Sheena, and I - had made it through the gruelling design diploma course together, and we were ready to celebrate.

"Let's have a feast!" Queenie suggested, leading our clique to the nearest canteen. We ordered S$40 worth of burgers, french fries, baked rice, curry rice and soft drinks.

As we gorged on our celebratory meal, we recalled memories of our design journey: crazy deadlines, all-nighters, brutal critique sessions, software crashes, and print disasters. It was all behind us now.

"What are your plans after graduation?" Queenie asked, her eyes sparkling with excitement. "I'm pursuing my bachelor's degree in design at The Glasgow School of Art."

"The UK? Me too!" Sheena squealed, "I'm eyeing Birmingham City University for their design degree!"

Ivy's eyes lit up, "And I'm heading to Norwich University of The Arts for a degree in illustration!"

The girls erupted in cheers, thrilled to be embarking on their next adventure together in the UK. They vowed to meet up during holidays and explore the best of UK - from hipster cafes to museums to theme parks.

"Which university are you going to, Daphne?" Queenie asked, snapping me back to reality after I'd zoned out of the conversation.

"Umm, I haven't decided yet," I confessed sheepishly. The girls looked unimpressed with my indecision. I hid the real reason from the girls, that my parents probably couldn't fund an expensive degree, seeing their reluctance to spend a mere S$9000 for this local diploma.

"By the way, last week my neighbour asked me to go to her house. I declined." Queenie casually changed the topic.

"Why not?" I asked curiously, setting aside my worries about university temporarily.

"Because she's a Christian! "Christians are manipulative, pretending to befriend you only to trap you in their scheme of evangelism. They're the worst!" Queenie ranted.

My heart pounded quickly as I struggled to maintain a neutral facade, aware I was the only Christian among them. Sheena and Ivy's nods of agreement with Queenie's words felt like a stab to my sensitive soul.

Raised in a Christian household, I made a public declaration of my faith by baptising at Faith Community Baptist Church two years ago, confirming my commitment to God. However, knowing Queenie's dislike for Christians, I purposely avoided discussing religion in all our interactions to protect our friendship, going against the Great Commission.

Finally, Queenie blurted out, "I really hate Christians!"

"Shhh! Don't say it so loudly!" Ivy cut in with a whisper and pointed her chin briefly in my direction. The three girls laid their eyes on the table, and the atmosphere turned silent. I had unknowingly become the target of their disdain.

The next five seconds felt like an eternity. Questions swirled in my puzzled mind. Have these girls been gossiping behind my back? Does Queenie hate me only because I am a Christian? I held back from speaking up and seeking clarity, instinctively suppressing my voice and emotions to maintain peace in all my friendships.

"Shall we clear the food and head home?" Sheena broke the silence first. Her eyes darted towards Queenie, hinting at a response. Queenie nodded, grimacing at the other two girls to convey her discomfort, thinking I hadn't noticed it.