8. Cancer and Surgeries

[Singapore Changi Airport - Terminal One, Aug 2015]

"Welcome back to Singapore!" Shynn and Felicia, my church friends, exclaimed and came over to me to hug me when I emerged from the exit door with my luggage.

It had been more than six months since I last saw them. I was touched by their little surprise. I was hoping to meet them another day, feeling more polished with full makeup and pretty clothes, but this impromptu reunion was heartwarming anyway.

"Here's a diary for you!" Shynn handed me a yellow book titled "My Life Book," the perfect gift to pen down my new journey in life with my kidney transplant - starting from today.

We chatted briefly before I headed home with my mother, feeling grateful for the kindness and miracles I had received throughout my journey.

-

As I slipped into the serene sanctuary of my bedroom, it felt surreal. 

I lay on my soft bed, staring at the ceiling like I always do, reflecting on my past eighteen months of painful adventure. Though darkness and despair had threatened to consume me so many times, I had emerged like gold refined in the fire. Resilience and discipline had been forged into my very being.

My lower right abdomen now had a bulging outline of my new kidney transplant, which I named "precious" - a reminder of God's precious gift for a second chance at life, a testament to the pain I've endured.

I wanted to embrace the peaceful time in this moment, aware that it was going to be a fleeting reprieve. My ongoing battle with CMV virus meant that I would have to surrender to the harsh reality of hospitalisation for further treatment. I'll go to A&E tomorrow, I thought.

Hearing the sound of National Day parade songs from the television downstairs filled me with nostalgia. Home sweet home indeed.

-

The next morning, Darroch accompanied me to Singapore General Hospital's Accident and Emergency block. During the doctor's consultation, I shared with him about my kidney transplant experience in China. He did not seem pleased, highlighting the dangers that could arise from non-compliance with Singapore's strict standards.

I was admitted to a single-bed transplant ward, a compulsory protocol for newly transplanted patients. The spacious room felt like a mini studio apartment, even bigger and more peaceful than my bedroom. 

Then I proceeded to use the washroom, but realised there weren't any towels to clean my hands with. Within ten seconds after I activated the call bell, two nurses rushed in frantically, thinking I had fallen down and hurt my new kidney. I was impressed by the efficiency of the nurses and Singapore's healthcare system.

During my stay, I enjoyed a variety of meals, including chicken curry, cabbages, and noodles, with options for Malay or Indian cuisine. Singapore's hospital's dedication to patients' well-being was evident in every detail. I could even request for extra biscuits and milo for a snack if I was still hungry.

After a series of tests, including blood tests, ultrasound scans, and X-rays, I was relieved to hear that my results were clear. My CMV virus had cleared up miraculously.

I was discharged the next day, ready to start my new life.

-

One day, as I was texting my polytechnic friend Xinyi, we discovered our common goal of doing YouTube.

With a renewed sense of purpose, I wanted to create a YouTube channel to chronicle my fresh start. I had come to appreciate the beauty of each new day. I was eager to capture as many precious memories as possible, building an archive of memories to reflect on in the future until my kidney transplant stopped functioning.