11. Melbourne School Trip

This chapter details my three-week trip in Melbourne. You may choose to skip it, as it serves as a supplementary story.

-

[Singapore Changi Airport, Terminal One, Nov 2016] 

On 8th November, my parents accompanied me to Singapore Changi Airport in the evening. Clad in my trusty grey Adidas sweater, I awaited the rendezvous with immense excitement.

Peiyun, Nick, Tammie and I met up in the departure hall, without James. With our Emirates flight beckoning at 10.40am, our hearts danced with excitement of our first overseas school exchange. I pledged to capture every single day in photos and videos. 

At the boarding gate, then came the devil. James had spectacles perched upon his nose, which was unlike his usual polished facade. He avoided eye contact with me and stood around Tammie and Nick. It was one of those days where he avoided me on purpose again.

Onboard, Peiyun, Tammy and Nick sat together in a row, while James and I sat in front of them. However, James was uncharacteristically quiet, deliberately avoiding conversations. He even converted the empty seat beside him into a makeshift bed, leaving me to lean uncomfortably against the window in my tiny space.

Finally, the sight of Melbourne International Airport greeted us at 8.40am. After retrieving our luggages, three of us settled down in a nearby cafe to wait for other classmates' arrival. James' whereabouts remained a mystery. 

Elliot, Joel, Hongming, Lock, Aylwin, Rusli and Huiping arrived two hours later. Nick, Tammie and I pretended to be their diehard fans and flashed the words "Why So Long" across our three phones, bringing much laughter and surprise. James reluctantly reappeared. 

We all took the Starbus airport shuttle bus to the city. The thirty-minutes ride showcased interesting scenery with frequent sights of graffiti-laden walls whispering tales of creativity unrestrained. Melbourne's streets were coloured with artistic wonders. 

We alighted in the heart of the city and walked over to our Airbnb building at A'Beckett Street.

Upon entering the door on the twelfth floor, we were greeted by a chalkboard in the living room that read "Dear James, welcome to StayInMelbourne". I immediately noticed how our host Gwyneth only addressed to one person, not the rest of us. 

Our home was bright, spacious ,well decorated and clean. There was a tiny balcony where we could enjoy the Melbourne scenic view in the cool ten degrees weather. 

There were only two bedrooms. Taphath, Veron, and I claimed the master bedroom, while James and Joel shared a common room. Nick and Elliot made their beds in the living room. Gwyneth had generously furnished us with extra bedding to ensure our maximum comfort. 

With the exploration of our new home completed, we headed out into Melbourne's streets.

In the initial minutes of our stroll, Melbourne's vibrant tapestry of diverse cultures and boundless creativity unfolded before us. Unlike the regimented graffiti of Singapore, Melbourne's graffiti embraced true freedom and spontaneity, with riotous explosions of messages and colours everywhere. 

The stroll led us to the doorstep of the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, where our classes would be held the following week. 

Thanks to our rumbling stomachs, we ended up walking to Melbourne Square and the Emporium. Settling into the third-floor food court, we found ourselves amidst a scene of understated elegance, with bulb lights hanging over white round tables and brown leather chairs. 

I was excited to try Australian food for the first time. I tried Melbourne's beef tacos, while some classmates indulged in Charlie and Co Burgers. We all agreed that the food tasted delicious and the portions were generous.