5. night. recap. now.

september 4 2021
kenzie's perspective + messages

"Kenzie do you want a pop tart?" Gabbie asks while looking in the pantry for breakfast.

"Yeah sure, just throw me it." I say, not wanting to get up and have to hear her and Caitlin giggling. I know they're talking about Kate and I, but they honestly need to not get their hopes up. Nothing's happening.

Gabbie throws me the pop tart and I catch it with one hand while texting Via.

via
9:30

me
heyyy
sorry for not texting
fell asleep at gabbies
kate driving me home
ill be there in 30ish

via
kate huh?
thought you didn't like her

me
you and gabbie would
get along really well

via
gabbie knows it too🤷‍♀️

me
🖕

I open up my strawberry pop tart (worst flavor but whatever) and scroll on Instagram for a few seconds. Kylie and Jada already posted pictures from last night. I'll do that later.

"Kenzie come over here!" Caitlin snickers.

I grudgingly walk over and sit in the only open stool, of course next to Kate and watch Caitlin practically howl.

"What are you guys laughing about?" Kate asks.

She looks toward me. "Seriously, do they know something we don't?"

"God knows what Gabbie told Caitlin."

"You'll figure it out eventually." Gabbie says mysteriously.

I am going to kill her later.

Kate brings up the game tomorrow. It's a home game against Iowa State. In state rivalry is always fun, but I can't imagine it being a close game. Caitlin's probably gonna shoot like 20 3s and we'll be up by 10 for the whole game.

Kate places her hand on my thigh. "We should probably head before your roommate thinks we kidnapped you."

"Don't worry I'm sure V has company over. But yeah I think she might call the police soon."

Gabbie mouths to me "Kate and Kenzie sitting in a tree" like a 2nd grader as Kate opens the door and I turn around to say bye.

Kate and I walk to the elevator and her car in complete silence and it's only when we get in that she says something.

"Sorry I would give you aux, but it doesn't work anymore. I need a new cord so hopefully there's something good on the radio."

I flip through the channels until I find "Hey There Delilah" by the Plain White T's playing.

"I love this song!" We say at the same time.

"No way really?" She asks excitedly.

"It was my dad's favorite and he made me listen to it all the time in middle school." I explain.

"Caitlin totally makes fun of me for liking it, but then again Caitlin only listens to Taylor Swift."