13. did you have a good time

october 1 2021
kenzie's perspective

It's near midnight and people are finally starting to leave. At least half of the team is blackout drunk and Via hit that mark hours ago. Speaking of Via, after Kate and I saw her and Caitlin in the kitchen, they went into Via's room. I haven't heard anything (if you know what I mean) and I don't think Caitlin is a "have sex two weeks after meeting you" kind of person, so all I can do is hope that they're just talking in there. Kate and I have pretty much been dancing and talking the whole night. I haven't had anything to drink and Kate has probably had one beer. She's had her hands on my waist essentially the whole night and it is getting impossible to keep my cool. I'm wearing a skirt and short of mesh top, so a lot of my stomach is showing, and both of her hands are on my bare skin.

Gabbie taps Kate on the shoulder. "You ready to go?"

"Yeah sure. Where's Caitlin?" Kate says.

"In Via's room." I say, trying not to laugh. "I'll go knock."

"Well I'm coming." Gabbie says, wanting to get in on the drama.

"Same." Kate agrees.

We walk over to Via's room and I knock pretty hard a couple of times.

"Caitlin! Gabbie and I are going." Kate yells over the Nicki Minaj that's blasting.

About 15 seconds later, Caitlin walks out. Her hair is a little messy, but her clothes are all on, so I'm talking that as a good sign. She waves bye to Via, who is lying on her bed.

We all clap as she walks out and despite our best efforts, we burst into laughter.

"Thanks for having us Kenz. And Via's not even that drunk." Caitlin says, refusing to look me in the eye.

"Did you have a good time Caitlin?" I smirk.

She holds up her middle finger and grabs Gabbie's arm to get her to leave.

Kate grabs my waist one last time and pulls me into her arms.

God I feel like I'm melting.

"Good night. And tell Via happy birthday again for me."

"Bye Kate." I pull away from the hug and she walks out.

They were the last people to leave, so I walk over and go turn off the speaker. I turn our regular lights back on and unplug the flashing ones. I rush to my room and take off my clothes. I put on a pair of Iowa sweatpants and a hoodie. They may or may not be Kate's. Just kidding, they totally are and I just forgot to give them back. Or maybe not forgot, more like I didn't want to.

I head to Via's room. I have to ask her about Caitlin of course. She's sitting on her bed, scrolling by on her phone, probably watching edits of Caitlin. To be honest, I definitely have searched up edits of Kate, but we're not focusing on me right now.

"Wanna tell me what was going on tonight?" I say, grabbing Via's phone and putting it in the pocket of Kate's sweats.

"That's alright." She says, reaching for my pocket.

"No phone until you tell me what happened." I threaten.

"You saw all of it." I know she's lying.

"So you guys just accidentally were making out in our kitchen and accidentally locked yourselves in your room, alone, for 3 hours?"

"Chill, it's not like we're dating or something. It was just a kiss."

"Oh yeah? And what was happening in here?"

"Talking." She pauses for a moment. "And yeah we were kissing, but nothing more. Caitlin's not like Emma."

"Trust me, I know she's not. She really likes you V. She's been talking about you nonstop."