16. what'd i miss

october 10 2021
kenzie's perspective + texts

Kate and I walk into practice laughing about some story I was telling her. When you think about it, I've only know her for a month and a half or so. I feel like I know her so well, but really we know nothing about each other's childhood.

"No way you took AP stats as a freshman!" Kate exclaims. "That's a college class."

I shrug. "What can I say?"

I head into Bluder's office to talk with the coaches and Kate starts walks to the locker room.

"Hey Morgan! We were just talking about this weekend's game."

"Against Rutgers."

"Yes. We were thinking about subbing in Hannah Steulke for a quarter or so."

"The freshman?"

They all nod.

"I think that's a good decision. I'll have to watch her today in practice but for a freshman, she's pretty incredible."

"Ok great! I'm glad like we're all on the same page."

Then they start drawing out plays and I just nod along and listen. This is my time to step back.

Bluder looks up to the clock on the wall. 1:55 pm.

"Alright let's head out."

We walk to the court and are greeted with Caitlin walking in late.

But not alone.

I'm sure you can guess who she's with.

Olivia Richardson.

And Caitlin is holding her hand.

And she just kissed her.

On the lips.

In front of the coaches.

And the whole team.

Excuse me?

The whole teams' mouths are open. Jaws on the floor.

"What'd I miss?" Bluder asks, walking out a second too late.

"Thanks for the warm welcome everyone." Caitlin laughs. She bends down to set her bag down and re-tie her shoes. Via's already long gone.

"What? How? When? When did that start?" Jada stutters out. They all know who Via is, of course.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Caitlin lies.

Caitlin is silent for the rest of practice. Not a word. Not an elaborate cheer after a deep three. Nothing.

And I'm not even allowed to pay attention to her. I have to watch Hannah.

Those two hours were the most curious I've ever been.

They have to be dating for her to do that in front of the team.

Right?

The clock finally hits 4:00 and I rush over to Bluder.

"I'm so sorry, give me three minutes to talk to Caitlin. I'll be right there."

"You're fine, no rush kid."

I run up to Caitlin and grab her on the arm.

"As her roommate and best friend, what is happening between you guys? It's not an option, spill." I say strongly. Almost threateningly. I understand how Caitlin was feeling that day on the bus. Protective of her friend, I guess.

"You need to chill."

I walk into the locker room and everybody else is also begging to hear Caitlin's answer.

"You can't just kiss her in front of all of us and expect us to not have questions." I tell Caitlin.

"We're dating. No further comments." Caitlin says before ripping off her jersey and tugging a hoodie over her head.

"Since when?" Syd questions.

"Three days after her birthday."

"How did no one know this?" Taylor yells.

"Kenz and I knew." Kate adds.

"Well we didn't know, we just assumed something was happening." I correct.

"I hate you all." Caitlin says in annoyance.

"Shouldn't have kissed her at practice then." Jada says in a sing-songy tone.

avery's note

YALL I AM SO BUSY WITH SCHOOL STUFF IM SO SORRY THIS IS SO SHORT AND LOWKEY RLY BAD

ONLY ONE MORE CHAPTER UNTIL YK WHAT

PLEASE COMMENT LOVE YOU MWAH💋