14. you're an angel

october 9 2021
kenzie's perspective + texts

caitlin, gabbie + kate
11:00

gabbie
hey fam
soo i am super sick and kind of can't come to the hw sesh tonight

me
gabbie nooo
who's supposed to do my french

gabbie
maybe ask the fluent french speaker you're friends with

caitlin
friends isn't the word i'd use

kate
gabbie for the millionth time i'm not fluent but ill help!

me
caitlin.

caitlin
small mishap
i also can't go

me
excuse you
what exactly are you doing

caitlin
🤷‍♀️

me
🔪

kate
11:00

me
looks like it's just us
you still wanna come?

kate
um hello yes
ill bring the cookie dough😊

me
i love you

kate
🤭

If someone asked me to bet on it, I would bet one million dollars that Gabbie isn't sick and Caitlin isn't busy. I'll tell you what actually did happen: Gabbie decided she 1. didn't want to do homework and 2. wanted to be a matchmaker and 3. convinced Caitlin to also cancel so it would just be Kate and I. Don't catch me complaining though.

Since Gabbie is "sick", Kate's coming to my place. And Via is nowhere to be seen. The funny thing is: Caitlin is not with Gabbie tonight. Wonder if V and Cait together (let's be real we all know they are).

Kate's coming over at 3, which is in like 10 minutes. With all the games and practices they've had, school has kind of fell to everyone's second priority. Mine too. I have two French essays, a huge calculus packet and a presentation to make on the impacts of global warming.

Eventually, I hear a knock on my door.

"It's unlocked!" I holler.

Kate unlocks the door and throws me a roll of cookie dough for us to bake. I stand up and run to hug her. Her hands wrap slowly around my waist and my arms drape over her shoulders.

"You're an angel." I say. A blush appears on her pale cheeks. Did I just make the Kate Martin blush?

She pulls away from the hug. "Are these my clothes?"

Now I'm the one blushing. "Um no. That would be crazy." I lie badly.

She just laughs and tugs on the waistband of my sweatpants, urging me to walk to the kitchen. Fuck. I'm surprised I didn't completely fall to my knees. The part of my stomach that her knuckles grazed is now covered in goosebumps.

I unwrap the cookie dough and pass it to Kate for her to start sectioning it out. She's wearing a tank top and I can see her biceps and the veins on her hands and arms. I'm so gay.