Chapter 35

240+ Votes!

RAELYNN

Vincent's men were inspecting the corpses of the dead men and the car they came in for any evidence or clues while Karl was busily talking to someone on a call.

Liam led me a considerable distance away from them and gestured to me to take a seat and I did, my back facing the entrance and the men.

"How much do you know about the Marinos?", Liam asked seriously.

"I don't know.", I replied, exhausted from all the stress I've been carrying since the past two days.

"Raelynn.", Liam probed sternly.

"Who's this Romero? Why's he after you? How are you related to the Marino family? What am I still unaware of? I'm honestly not sure what's going on anymore and it's frustrating.", I replied tersely, looking him in the eyes.

He sighed, rubbing his forehead, and sat on the chair opposite to me.

"I'll answer your questions, kid. But for that, I need to know how much do you know about that family and their business and how does Romero know about you.", Liam stated calmly.

Taking a deep breath, I decided to tell him everything truthfully. He's the one I trust the most and there's no use hiding things from him at this point when it's evident he's already dragged into this mess.

I, then, briefly updated him on how all this mess started and how I'd been staying in the Marino mansion until two days ago. Of course, I left out the parts that included my past and why I argued with Vincent and walked out.

"Something this dangerous was going on in your life and you kept hiding it from me!", Liam commented, displeased and worried.

"I didn't want to risk your safety.", I replied calmly.

He shook his head, clicking his tongue.

"How does Romero know you?", I asked seriously, not intending to wait any longer for answers.

Liam stiffened and looked at me with faint hesitance swirling in his eyes.

"I won't judge you, old man, you know that.", I stated calmly.

"I'm not as nice as you know, kid.", he commented gently.

"Your past won't change my perspective about you. The man I respect, trust and admire is the present you. Everyone has an ugly past with mistakes, Liam, I know that better than anyone.", I assured earnestly.

He nodded with a subtle smile and then looked at me with utter seriousness.

"I killed Romero's uncles. That's probably why he holds a grudge against me.", he stated stoically.

I was slightly taken aback, but not deeply shocked.

I did expect something of that sort after listening to Romero's call.

"Why did you kill them?", I asked in a neutral tone, my gaze stoic.

He averted his gaze, his jaw clenched tightly and palms fisted. I could read the anger, resentment, sorrow and regret in his countenance.

I resisted the urge to assure him and waited patiently for his answer.

"They killed my wife and daughter.", he replied in a hard tone, his voice laced with overwhelming fury.

My brows curved into an angry frown hearing his words.

I was startled when he looked back at me sternly, his brows furrowed into frustrating helplessness.