CHAPTER 12

"Hanzade Mehmet Giray?" I was confused. "What are you doing here?"

"Well I needed to coordinate with you..." And then it dawned on me. He sent the other girl to distract Mahmud so that he could speak with me. Brilliant, but also giving stalker vibes. I arched my brow at him.

"Well, what else could we have done? Your servant Nafise Hatun also contacted me and told me of your whereabouts so I could do something." Ah, so Nafise was also involved in this. It was nice she was looking out for me too.

I nodded and bit my lip, thinking of what to say next.

"Ah yes, okay, the bird situation. What shall we do about that?"

"Well Sultana, my brother Şahin and I are currently living in a fairly private house in town, and there is enough space to train the bird. If you are open to it, we can start tomorrow."

"Sounds good! I'll try to come up with some excuse to do it." I raked my head, thinking if I had anything left to say.

"Oh and by the way, does anyone else know about what we are doing? On your end I mean. Nafise is the only one besides me from here, and my valide, that knows."

Instead of answering, he instead decided to question me.

"What do you mean your Valide knows? Haseki Ayşe Sultan?" His eyebrows shot up.

"Long story. Anyways, I don't think she'll be a bother. Oh also Neylan Sultan suspects something, but I threw her off our tracks. Now I just need to be secretive."

"Alright", Mehmet Giray looked around, "I think I have to leave before anyone notices me."

We went our ways as I stalked off back to Mahmud. The girl wasn't there anymore, but I still don't think Mahmud saw Mehmet Giray.

"Shall we go back brother?" I asked cheerfully, forgetting about what happened at the naming ceremony.

"Are you alright? You seem a lot better now." I nodded aggressively as I tugged him back to the palace.

I was running through the forest in the night, and the fog started coming in. I couldn't see anything as I turned and ran around, always coming back to the same, half-burnt tree.

"Somebody? Anybody!?" I yelled. All that was returned was a wolf's howl. I could feel the shadows creeping closer and closer to me as I screamed for help.

I woke up, gasping for air as I took a moment to interpret what I just dreamed. It was a bad sign, an omen I was sure. I would need to contact some fortune-telling woman to help me know what will happen.

...

I had a free day, and nothing better to do, so I decided to go to my sister Gülbahar Sultan. When I came, she was with my aunt Neylan. I scowled, thinking about how much trouble she has caused me.

"Sultana." I bowed to my aunt.

"Fidan! What are you doing here?" Gülbahar hugged me.

I returned my sister's embrace, feeling a sense of comfort wash over me in her presence.

"I had a dream last night," I began, casting a cautious glance at Neylan, "and I believe it's a sign of something ominous."

Neylan's gaze sharpened, her curiosity evident as she leaned forward slightly. "What kind of dream?"

"It was... unsettling," I admitted, choosing my words carefully. "I found myself lost in a forest, surrounded by fog and shadows. No matter where I turned, I couldn't escape."

Gülbahar's expression softened with concern. "Do you think it means something?"

"I believe so," I replied, feeling a sense of urgency gnawing at me. "I must seek guidance from a fortune-teller to decipher its meaning."

Neylan's lips curled into a sly smile. "Perhaps I can assist you. I know of a renowned fortune-teller who could interpret your dream."

I hesitated, wary of Neylan's intentions, but ultimately decided to accept her offer. "Thank you, Aunt Neylan. I would appreciate your help."

With that settled, Neylan and Gülbahar exchanged a knowing glance, leaving me to wonder what secrets lay hidden beneath their composed facades.

As we parted ways, I couldn't shake the feeling of unease that lingered within me. The dream had left its mark, a haunting reminder of uncertainties yet to come. But with Neylan's offer of guidance from a fortune-woman, perhaps I could unravel the mysteries that awaited me, and forge a path forward with clarity and purpose.