| prologue |

~ 12 years ago ~

"Katherine, look! I made you your very own castle," James said, pointing to the sand. "That's so cool, James," I said, admiring the beauty. James is three years older than me, yet he never says no to anything I ask or want to play. He has always been there for me, comforting me, standing up for me, and being proud of me for the littlest things I do. He's the best brother anyone could have.

He might seem scary to others, but he's always so overprotective of me. I won't deny that I'm the loudest and most cheerful person alive, and he's the complete opposite.

" "I got you a flower, James," I say, holding out a rose that I just plucked from the garden near the fence of the park. Red is truly a colour of beauty, and so are roses. James takes the rose from my hand and steps forward, grabbing the other hand that I had hidden behind my back. He opens my palms, from which I plucked the rose, and gives me a concerned look. "Katie, does it hurt? We need to get you to a doctor, it may get infected." He's always been so protective, worrying about even the slightest things. I didn't even notice the blood dripping down my fingers as I looked at them.

"I'm all good," I say, giving James a brave look as I notice the pig's stench. It was worth it though. "Thanks for the rose. I'll change it as long as I can," James says, giving me a defeated look. I let out a soft smile; I always win. "It will die in a few days, you know," he rolls his eyes.

"Not the point, you know," he lets out another sigh. "Katie, I appreciate it a lot, and it makes me feel special that you gave me this rose. Even after knowing it will cause you pain, you still plucked it for me." He smiles while rolling the rose in his hand. "I will share it for as long as I can, okay?" I nod, letting out a soft smile. "You know, people appreciate more than you think, even if they don't show it sometimes. So stop being such a dummy; effort is what matters.

" Well, he wasn't wrong about that. Maybe I was dumb, but there's no way I'm admitting that.

I let out a small pout as James chuckled. He was about to hug me when gunshots suddenly rang out all around us in the park. Panic set in and people started running for their lives, with half of them getting shot and joining the bodies on the ground. I was so scared that I froze in place, the sound of gunshots ringing in my ears like an eerie melody.

my breath got heavier anxiety, panic fear every stupid emotion took over me my brother placed one of his hands behind his back signing me to stay put I stayed in my spot since they didn't notice me there I couldn't see anyone's face The view only gave me access till this chest another shot got fired stinging into my ear drums, I try to get a peak as anxiety clinched into the pit of my stomach

I almost take my head out, but before I can any further my brother's body falls hitting the ground my eyes wide with a new emotion taking all over my body the men live and all I can see is a tattoo on both of their arms that says 'sinz' the tattoo gets imprinted in my head as they walk away like nothing happened. rage taking over me I get out of the tunnel "he's gonna be fine right he's strong the strongest I know" I look down at James his lifeless eyes piecer through me I pant as my knees give up I wall down right beside him the smell of iron soon takes over me blood pouring out all over the place soaking his clothes.

I feel the cold liquid touch me soon covering my legs and hands and making its way all over me the irony the red wine colour takes over my eyes the red colour I loved the most the red colour that meant and described so much all around me blood all over the ground my hands, I lift them to see blood stained into my hands dripping from my plam making it way to my wrist and further down my eyes feel numb from the tears dripping down my cheeks as they loose there spark.

"I can't believe it's happening again. Why does it always have to be the people I love and want to be with, God? I feel like I'm cursed like I'm a murderer. If only I hadn't begged James to come to the park with me, this wouldn't have happened.