01

Guys voteeeeeeeeeee!!!

✧.*  collision  *⁠.✧

Mumbai, India.

Mumbai, fondly known as the city of dreams. Akira would deny that. For her, it was a nightmare cloaked in the gleam of mystifying dreams. The city hadn't given her a single relevant memory that she could cherish for the rest of her life but it had made sure to give her scars that even a lifetime would be less to get rid of them.

Nervous energy crackled through her. She was back at the very place where she didn't feel belonged, where she was shunned out, ridiculed, betrayed and left alone. She was back to Mumbai where she never wanted to be after what had happened. Memories flooded through her mind, fear gripped and entangled itself around every fiber of her body. All these years, she spent strengthening herself, taking control of her emotions so they never spiraled back, guarding herself so she never had to depend on someone else and yet right now, she felt so defenseless. She felt so lost, so feeble, just how the twenty one year old version of hers did when leaving her motherland was the bravest thing she could do.

"Ma'am, are you okay?" The staff at the transit area of the airport repeated his question, his pitch getting higher in concern.

Akira blinked back to reality, clearly looking slightly fazed. She didn't realise she was rooted to her spot. Her eyes as a reflex went to her daughter who looked so tired after taking five flights and there was still one left. Khushi was staring at her mother with droopy eyes, having no energy to utter a word.

"Yeah, all good." Akira breathed out and tightened her hold on Khushi as they resumed walking.

They took the cab that Akira had booked to transport them to the domestic terminal.

"Mumma, I want to go home," Khushi whined by her side, almost ready to sob. She was just so tired travelling for two days and it didn't seem to be getting over.

Akira pulled Khushi to her lap. "I'm so sorry, baby," she said softly, feeling extremely guilty for putting her through it. "Just hold on a little more? And I've a surprise for you now."

"I don't want any surprise. I just want to go home." She murmured, leaning against her mother wearily.

"Soon." Akira planted a kiss over the crown of her head and rubbed her hand over her arms soothingly.

"Lamba safar? (Long journey?)" The driver who was a little aged inquires, initiating a conversation. He carried a warm smile on his face.

"Pucho mat. (Don't ask)." She sighed. "Four flights and we've another one to take."

"Must be a lot for the kid." He added sympathetically.

"Hmm." She herself was way too exhausted.

"Ghumne gaye the bahar desh? (Went to a foreign country for holidays?)" He continues the conversation. He was one of those chatty old men.

"Nahi, rehne. (No, we stayed there)." She gives him a short, crisp answer.

His smile widens. "Pata hai kehte hai agar subah ka bhoola shaam tak ghar laut aaye toh use bhoola nahi kehte. (It's said that if someone makes a mistake but realises it and returns, he should be forgiven and welcomed)."

She looks at him from the corner of her eye. She would've felt offended if there was a trace of judgement in his tone but there was none, it was as if he was welcoming her back with open arms. She shakes her head at his words. "Na toh mai koi bhoola hu aur na toh mai ghar laut rahi hu. (Neither am I someone who has made a mistake nor am I returning home)." She looks outside the window. It was evident it had rained sometime back.