03

vote aur comment karlo guys. 😪

✧.*  golden words  *⁠.✧

Every home tells a story. And this one narrated hers. Akira hadn't kept a foot inside it and yet it seemed to have been waiting for this moment since forever. An official declaration where it would be pronounced that the 4BHK flat was hers. She owned it. As her fingers traced her name "Ms. Akira Shah" carved intricately over the mahogany wood name plate, her stomach clenched and her chest squeezed in an overwhelming burst of emotions that threatened to spill in the form of tears from her eyes.

She had given her sweat and blood for this. She had spent countless sleepless nights, taken up multiple jobs, worked at odd shifts tirelessly while balancing her studies and somehow barely managing to make adequate time for her daughter. It was hard, it was lonely but right now, it felt worthy. Many people could only dream of having a house at their name bought by their own money at the age of 26 and she had done it all alone, faced everything thrown at her face bravely and she was so fucking proud of herself. Nobody could take this away from her.

"It's yours." Rekha placed a hand over her back and gave a meaningful smile.

"The key?" She looked at her Dad and the woman who always had her emotions in check couldn't help the nervous anticipation that laced her tone.

Her Dad heaved a breath and smiled as he handed her the key. "But you don't need to unlock the door."

Her forehead wrinkled in confusion but before she could ask anything more, Khushi was already pushing at the door which opened without any resistance and no sooner did the girl enter, the lights flickered on and the rose petals came pouring upon her.

"Mumma!" She squealed with her hands pressing against her cheeks, her lips curving up into a giddy smile which flashed her front teeth. "This is so pretty," she twirled at her spot, craning her neck when the rose petals continued to shower. When the rain of soft petals stopped, her face fell and her legs stopped moving.

Akira came near and went on her knees in front of her. "You like it?" She asks looking at the red spread around them.

When Khushi nods frantically, she gathers the fallen petals in her fist and throws in her daughter's direction making her giggle. The sound of her loud, cheerful giggles fills the house, reverberating through every wall and Akira gazes at her like one would stare at someone who was their whole world. Khushi was indeed her world.

"Welcome Home," a sweet familiar voice speaks up, making Akira shift her attention.

Surprise sparks in her eyes and that's when she looks around her to find so many of known faces around her.

"Maasi (Aunt - mother's sister)," she gasps and hugs the lady who stood beside her. "I'm so happy to see you," she swallows the lump in her throat. Out of everyone present in the house whom she was seeing after years, she loved her maasi the most. She was the one who had pampered her when she was a kid, let her mistakes slide, supported her, understood her and was there by her side always no matter what.

"Chakudi (My girl)." Her Maasi addresses her endearingly.

"Khushi," Akira points at her aunt and her daughter follows, "she's your choti nani, which means she's your nani's younger sister. And he," she points at her aunt's husband, "he would be another of your nana. She's choti nani's husband. And he," she points at the man who stood beside him, "he's your mama, which means uncle and the lady beside her who's his wife is your mami— "