Chapter Seven: The wait was worth it

Chapter Seven 

Sebastian awoke early in the morning. His dorm was completely dark, he could barely see his own hand in front of his face. He contemplated going back to bed but after reaching for his pocket watch that had been laid out on the bedside table for the night and seeing that it wasn't that early, he figured he should just get up and ready for his day.

He counted the days since he had arrived at school, and it landed him on the seventeenth. His and Anne's birthday. He truly needed to keep track of that. "Happy birthday, Anne." He said quietly, standing up from his bed while trying to keep it down so that he wouldn't wake up Ominis and Thomas.

Eighteen, what an age. He had already been considered an adult for a year in the Wizarding world since he was able to do magic outside of the school grounds but now he was official everywhere. He was now officially an adult. It was an age that at one point he didn't think he was going to reach. But here he was, standing proud of himself for beating those odds that he had set for himself.

The only saddening thing about today was that his parents and Anne weren't here to celebrate but it had been like that for a while. He was just happy to still be here with so many wonderful people.

He waited a bit till Ominis and Thomas began to stir and the flames to the lights in their room were lit as they were every morning before getting dressed. Today he opted to leave his robes behind, figuring it was nice outside, rolling his sleeves up to his forearms. "Psh, show off." Thomas scoffed jokingly as he sat up in his bed.

Sebastian rolled his eyes but understood it was a joke and replied accordingly. "Well maybe if you worked nearly as much as I did over the summer you'd look like this." He teased back.

Thomas chuckled. "Happy birthday, Sebastian." He said, getting up from his bed.

After a few more minutes, they began to hear voices outside, telling them that it was a good time to leave their dorm. Through the common room, Sebastian got some birthday wishes from fellow students—all of whom he thanked with gratitude in his voice.

Surprisingly, when he exited the Slytherin Common room, Matty wasn't launching herself at him wishing him a happy birthday as she had last year, regardless of the looks she had got. Internally, Sebastian was slightly disappointed that she hadn't been waiting there for him, but he was sure she was around here somewhere.

She was nowhere to be seen in the Great Hall for breakfast either, so Sebastian just sat himself down at the Slytherin table, getting some more birthday wishes—and some even wished Anne a happy birthday which gave him joy knowing that people had not forgotten about his twin sister.

But right before he could begin to eat, he felt a small tug on his sleeve, causing him to look down. When he did, he was met with the sight of one of the house elves, looking up at him with big eyes. "Mr. Sallow, there is something that the house elves would like to show you." The house elf, Tinky, said. "Tinky would love it if Mr. Sallow would follow him."

Sebastian looked a little confused but when he glanced up at Esme, who was sitting across the table from him, she gave him a look that seemingly was telling him to follow the small house elf. So, he looked back down. "Um, alright." He said, standing up.

The little house elf led him quite a bit away from the Great Hall. Sebastian's confusion continued as Tinky led him down the stairs of what seemed to be the Hufflepuff Common Room. That was until he realized that the house elf was leading him to the kitchens.

When he walked into the kitchen with a little hesitation—it all went away the moment he saw Matty standing there waiting for him. So this is where she had been. "Hi." She said with a little laugh. "Happy birthday!"