𝟑𝟒. 𝐍𝐞𝐜𝐤𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐧𝐬?

Aarush

As she didn't want to get home, I took her to the roof of my friend's restaurant. He was the owner of this place and hence, it was the easiest to get here. I parked my car in the parking lot and got out to open the door for her. But she didn't wait for me and she got down. Still I offered her my hand to walk.

She looked at my palm and then at me. Her eyes- which were doe and striked innocence.

How can she endure so much?

After a few seconds, she gave her palm to mine and we headed in. I saw my friend and went with my wife.

"Aarush! Hey! What a surprise!" Rishikesh greeted me with a hug.

"Hello! How are you? How's your family?"

"All good, Hello Bhabhi" he greeted her and she returned his gesture.

"So, what will you guys like to have?" He asked us.

"For now, can we head to the terrace? I can't miss the sunset! You know we get a beautiful view from there, can we?"

"Sure, but have something first," he insisted. I looked at Vaani if she wanted anything.

"You want some snacks?" I asked.

"No, I had lunch late" she reasoned out to which I nodded.

"No Rishi, actually we aren't hungry"

"Okay, as you say. This way please" he made our way towards the lift and soon we got there.

Yuvaani went closer to the wall where she could see the sun setting on the beach and I followed her.

"How are you?" I asked her genuinely.

"How do you think I am?" she asked softly with her eyes still glued to the sun.

"Anything but fine" I uttered and this made her look at me as if she's peeking in my soul.

"Can I ask you a question, Aarush?"

"Anything" I uttered and looked at the sun.

"Why did you kiss me?" she asked and I snapped my head at her.

That was expectedly unexpected.

What should I explain to her? I genuinely don't know. And most probably, I think I should say what she needs to hear. That's what can mend our relationship with her, I guess. Plus, I have to be careful to be honest. I can't risk it. Plus, I don't want a lie to be the foundation of our trust.

"You don't want to answer my question I guess?" she continued.

"No, I'll answer." I replied that I can't disappoint her.

"To be honest it felt right at the moment." I added after a long pause.

"Or you should say, you want to compensate for the guilt in your heart. Isn't it? You know I have feelings for you. You were regretting that because of you I have to suffer. Isn't it? You felt guilty that you can't love me back. And trust me, Aarush. It isn't a burden on you. Just wait for a while. Maybe all the feelings will just disappear in the thin air. Anyways, as if anyone cares." She looked directly in my eyes.

"I don't initiate a thing which I don't intend to finish. And you know what a kiss means. I'm not fooling around you, me or anyone else. I'm honest with myself, my emotions and most importantly, you."

"What did your kiss mean, Aarush?"

"You know what a kiss means, Yuvaani."

"No- tell me! What if you're lying! And I'm again being a victim of my own emotions? I- I hate that- and" she came closer and began hitting my chest in disappointment. I can sense the anger behind her words, and how desperately she wanted to hear my love for her. Her tears rolled down her cheek.

Woman! Don't cry! Pleasee!! I don't want you to cry because of me, again.

"What do you think? I'm weak? I'm not-"

Her next words died in her mouth as I placed my hands behind her, on the railing. Her actions froze. We were so close that her light breaths could be sensed by my ears. Her warm breath would touch my neck and it was an intimate moment.

Her eyes locked into mine, definitely had something in them.

Expectations.

"That kiss meant something, surely. I missed you so much, Vaani. And seeing you right there after a week, I can't possibly deny how I missed you. How much I missed your presence, your scent, your eyes, your care. It was all cold, when you were not there. I couldn't stop myself and. Yes, it led to a kiss" I completed my answer.

She searched for something in my eyes that her lips won't utter. I glanced at her lips and looked at her eyes again.

"My heart is beating fast, too" I took her hand and kept it on my heart. Meanwhile she maintained an unbreakable eye contact but later she made a respectable space between us.

"Let's go home. I need to see kids" she uttered and there we went! Another conversation left unturned. Incomplete. Void.

When we headed home, mom took her in a tight hug, crying for her life, that why she put peanuts in that breakfast in the first place. Yuvaani knew it was purely accidental, so she let it pass by. She was welcomed by my dad too, who was holding my babies on the ground.

"Mumma!!!!" Priyansh squeaked and rushed crawling towards her. Listening to her twin brother's baby voice, Pihu's head shot up and she noticed Yuvaani. She too crawled towards her.

"My babies!!" She said and held them together close to her chest. I can see Priyansh hugging her by the neck whereas Pihu tried to grab her clothes and stand near her face.

Vaani helped Pihu stand and she kissed her first, then Priyansh. And showered them with multiple kisses and her love. She then took both of them to our room. I thought she needed her time with them, while I stayed in the living room with my parents.

After a while, I knocked on our bedroom door and she said wait for a while. I patiently waited outside.

When I stepped in, I saw both the babies oozing a bit of milk from their mouth.

How much more pure and intentional you have to be, Vaani?

We didn't exchange words. I just wanted to play with them and it's evening so I spruced them up and changed them into fresh clothes.

My babies look so cuteee!

Soon, night approached and we had our dinner in peace and retired to our rooms after a bit of chat. My parents were concerned about her health and she assured them that she was completely fine now and it was nobody's fault. After we stepped into our room, her scent hit my nostrils and I was feeling content today. She was back. Her presence was back. In my life. In my world. I'm happy.

She checked our babies who were fast asleep due to their heavy playing session. She took her side of the bed and asked me if she could play a song.

'Jaane woh kaise log the jinke pyaar ko pyaar mila?

Humne toh jab kaliyan mangi, kaaton ka haar mila'

[ Wondering, what kind of people were there whose love got love? When we asked for happiness, we got a necklace of thorns]

While listening to the song she lay down on her side. I understood the meaning behind the song and uttered

"Vaani-"

"Shayad aapko yeh gaana accha nahi laga, band hi kar deti hu."

[Maybe you didn't like this song, I'll turn it off.]