Chapter 29

LEE KNOW POV

LEE KNOW POV

I held Han for so long that people in the ice cream shop started staring. They didn't know what he was going through. They didn't know the feelings we'd just confessed. But they grimaced and glared at us all the same.

I pulled away, immediately regretting it and missing him being pressed against me. He looked up with his adorable doe eyes and a boyish smile and made me feel like the most important person in the world. My heart skipped a beat.

I tossed our trash away and took his hand to lead him outside where we could hold hands and relish in our happiness without being brought down or judged. The warmth of the sun felt so bright and optimistic. It was a perfect sign for Han and I's new beginning. That table would be our table. And today would be our day.

I walked proudly beside Han, whose cheeks were a little fuller since he'd actually eaten today. He'd glance over at me now and then looking completely and utterly pleased with life.

For a moment, it was like he wasn't sick at all. He was just Han. And I was just Lee Know. And we were just two people who made each other whole.

...But then Han tripped in a crack in the pavement and the illusion was gone.

He'd managed to keep himself upright, but he still looked embarrassed with his puffed-out red cheeks and blushing pink ears.

"Sorry," he murmured.

I spotted another crack ahead of us, closer to me this time. I purposefully stumbled into it as I let go of his hand so I wouldn't accidentally pull him down with me.

Han gasped and looked over worriedly, "Are you okay?" He put a hand on my shoulder as though he thought I may still be off-balance.

"Yeah," I replied with a shrug, "It happens."

I didn't want him to feel like every little slip was something to be ashamed of. From now on, if he tripped, I'd trip.

He looked at the ground with a small smile and I wondered if he'd known it hadn't been an accident. If he'd figured it out, he didn't say so.

I retook his hand and guided us into Central Park. It was a shortcut to get to my apartment, and I figured it'd be nice for Han to walk in the shade for a bit.

He looked more relaxed now that he didn't feel alone in his clumsiness. The gentle breeze between the trees combined with the shade did have him shivering a bit though.

I took him towards a space clear of trees and sat down beside him on one of the benches around the perimeter of Bethesda fountain. He leaned against me and hummed as the sun warmed him up.

"Sorry," he mumbled, trembling a little from how cold he'd felt.

"Han," I shook my head, "You don't have to apologize to me. Okay?"

"Okay," he agreed without argument. I hoped he knew it was true. It wasn't burdensome to me to take care of him. I kissed his forehead and put my arm around him.

A little girl suddenly ran up to him. She was in basketball shorts and a soccer jersey so long it fit like a dress. In her hand was a penny.

Without even asking, she used Han's knees for support and hoisted herself up to stand on the bench. She nearly fell over and Han quickly put his arm out to catch her fall.

"Thanks!" she clapped. She closed her eyes and whispered, "I hope I win the game." She tossed the penny in and watched to make sure it sunk all the way to the bottom of the fountain. When it did, she hopped off and ran towards her dad who was watching while on a phone call.

"Daddy! Daddy! I made a wish! Did you see?" she chanted. He was too occupied to pay attention to her, but she skipped beside him, too immersed in her own positivity to notice her dad hadn't cared at all.

He reminded me of Han's parents. I looked over to see if Han had noticed the similarities but he was still turned around and looking at her coin in the rippled water.

"Do you want to make a wish?" I asked him.

He turned with a shy look on his face as he nodded. I pulled out my wallet and found exactly two coins...one penny and one nickel. I held my hand out for him, and he took the penny.

"They're lucky," he smiled, his eyes shiny and cute.

I'd wanted the penny to boost my wish's luck too, but a nickel would suffice.

"Okay close your eyes, and make a wish. Don't say it out loud though!" I instructed. "Once you're done you can toss it in."

Han turned, still kneeling on the bench, and closed his eyes. He looked so calm. I hoped we had the same wishes and that whatever entity made them come true chose ours to fulfill.

His eyes opened and he kissed the coin before tossing it into the water. He watched as it floated further and further down until it rested on the ground.

"Your turn," he grinned.

"Okay," I turned to kneel as well.

Han probably didn't know the history of this fountain since he was raised in Boston. I knew that the bronze Angel statue represented peace and (most importantly) health. I knew that the flower in her hand was a lily which is a symbol of hope. And I knew that nobody wanted a wish to come true more than I did.

I closed my eyes and sucked in a deep breath as I shouted in my mind, Let Han live! Let Han live!

I kissed the coin the same way he had and threw it in. We watched it sink until it settled against his penny as though, like me, my nickel couldn't bear to be separated from any piece of him.

He turned and kissed my cheek. "What did you wish for?"

I chuckled. Of course, he'd know that there was only one possibility. But I was superstitious about the wishing rules being very strict about sharing wishes, so I lied and said, "I wished for that little girl to win her soccer game."

Han smirked knowingly.

"What about you?" I asked.

He shrugged. "More sweaters."

I rolled my eyes with a laugh and pulled him to stand. "Come on, baby. Let's go see your new home."

"Does it have a new closet for my sweaters?"