Melaine

I woke up at the crack of dawn and strolled down to my old place. The sunrise caught me on the way. I couldn't wrap my head around what had gone down, all leading to this chaos. As I gazed at the scorched house, there was nothing left, just ashes. I tried sifting through the remains, but there was no trace, not even a pot or a hint of steel. It felt like the house had never existed. Understandably, the other houses stood empty as the folks had taken everything when they left.

I searched for any signs my mom's necklaces, but they were nowhere to be found. I headed back to Mel's place. Outside, Elaine sat. As I neared her to say hello, she got up and walked towards a cab waiting outside. I tagged along, accustomed to her demeanor. It struck me as somewhat amusing, in a way.

We reached the monastery, and there stood another pastor at the church entrance, armed with a duffle bag. Gesturing for us to follow, we made our way towards the "exorcism" building. Inside, Mel hung there, visibly drained from days without water or food. Stepping into the circle drawn by the medium, I felt a sense of gratitude for being allowed into this room. The new pastor appeared serious, devoid of any smile, seemingly annoyed by the situation, eager to banish the spirit for good.

"May I?" I sought permission from Elaine to hold her hand. She extended it, granting me permission. I was relieved she didn't escalate things into an unnecessary argument. The new pastor retrieved another bottle from the duffle bag, pouring its contents into the one that once held the spirit. The water from yesterday had evaporated. He then applied a jelly-like substance to Mel's hands, motioning for the old pastor to step back. With raised hands directed towards Mel, they began chanting, the words incomprehensible. I could feel Elaine's grip tightening on my hand.

As we strained to comprehend the unfolding events, blood began streaming from Mel's eyes and mouth, punctuated by a piercing scream that reverberated through the room. The intensity of her agony was palpable, leaving me uncertain whether it was the spirit or Mel herself in torment. The pastors pressed on with the ritual, their voices growing louder. The winds subsided, leaving an eerie silence in the room. "Is it over?" Elaine's voice broke the stillness. "I think so," I replied, my gaze fixed on the pastors.

The old pastor uncorked the green glass bottle and placed it near Mel's lips, while the new pastor assisted in opening her mouth. Though nothing visibly emerged, the bottle filled up swiftly, turning a deep purple, indicating they had captured it. Motioning for us to approach, the old pastor beckoned us closer. Peering at Mel, I noticed her pallid complexion, her body devoid of warmth. Her mouth was parched, her skin cold to the touch. "How long until she regains consciousness?" I inquired of the pastors.

"It hinges on the final step. If completed today, then today," the new pastor responded. "Are we finished, or is there more to come?" I voiced my concern. "Yes, we must retrieve her soul now. Take these bottles. They will aid us," the new pastor explained.

"So her body remains here, but her soul is elsewhere?" Mel sought clarification. "Yes," came their solemn reply.

He handed me the bottles for our journey, along with the purple one they took. Carrying Mel from the building to the car was gut-wrenching. She lay there motionless, resembling a body in a morgue awaiting burial, devoid of breath or movement. Elaine walked beside me, her gaze fixed on her friend. Placing Mel in the back of the car, we set off, the weight of her lifeless form unsettling.

"Jake, guide us to the gravesite," the old pastor instructed, believing her soul lingered there. We drove to the designated location. "Bring her through," the new pastor directed.

"This whole situation is giving me the creeps," Elaine remarked. I carried Mel behind the pastors as we followed their lead. The old pastor guided the new pastor to the spot where Mel had attacked Elaine. Gently placing her on the ground, I supported her head.