Revelation

Mel's POV

Elaine and I stood behind Jake, watching in silence as the coffin descended into the ground. I approached Jake quietly, my voice soft but firm, "We'll be over there waiting for you. Take all the time you need, and join us when you're ready." I placed my hand gently on his shoulder, feeling the weight of the moment. He simply nodded, lost in his thoughts.

As Elaine and I wandered through the cemetery, she turned to me with a knowing look in her eyes. "So, you're head over heels for him, aren't you?" Her questions always cut straight to the point.

I smirked, playing along, "If I said 'to the moon and back,' would that satisfy your curiosity?"

Elaine chuckled softly, "Alright, I'll lay off the questions for now. Thanks for sharing."

"Honestly, I'm not entirely sure. I barely know him, and he's so nonchalant about everything. Initially, I hesitated because of his complicated past, but now the only thing holding me back is that he lives in my basement. Can you imagine introducing him as the guy from the basement? It just doesn't have a nice ring to it. Picture having an argument and he's literally downstairs. And it will feel disrespectful to my parents to date someone under their roof," I explained, my voice tinged with uncertainty.

Elaine leaned in, her tone serious, "You're overthinking this. You're creating obstacles that might not even exist. You're already talking about arguments before they've even happened. I believe deep down you're just scared. And about Jake, I can tell he's into you, like really into you. I've seen the way he looks at you and the lengths he went to win you back. The poor guy was on edge, restless for days. It must have been tough for him to be around your parents without you there. Trust me," Elaine reassured me.

"Do you really think so?" I asked, my uncertainty palpable.

"Girl, I don't just think, I know, okay? Remember, love isn't about finding the perfect person, but about finding the imperfect person perfectly. Don't let his situation cloud your judgment to the point where you lose sight of yourself," she emphasized, her words carrying a sense of urgency.

"Alright, I'll consider it. Maybe he still feels the same way as he did before I... disappeared," I mused, a hint of hope in my voice.

"I bet he does. Like I always say, absence chapters love, and presence strengthens it, just like our friendship. Now, let me show you some of the vacation pics," she offered, her tone shifting to a lighter, more cheerful one.

"As you should. I've been eagerly waiting to see them," I replied, anticipation evident in my voice.

"You've been subconsciously waiting for them," she teased, unlocking her phone. I knew her playful nature would surface soon.

While Elaine scrolled through her myriad of pictures, I stole a glance at Jake. He had been standing there for an uncomfortably long time. We went through the pictures for what seemed like an eternity, my eyes darting to Jake every few minutes.

Finally, Jake approached us. "Are you alright?" I inquired, concern lacing my words.

"Yes, thank you for the support," he replied, his response brief but polite.

"You are welcome. Now, let's get going my lovebirds," Elaine declared, her voice laced with a hint of playfulness as she took charge of the situation.

She drove us to my house and drove off to her "man", Jake and I settled on the porch, cracking open some cans I had in the fridge.

"You know, Jake, when I was trapped by the spirit, I had a profound encounter with your mother. It was like the medium had foreseen during our initial meeting, that she was in a deep, dark place. It felt like I was there too. When I left my body, I found myself in this vast, empty void. Suddenly, a woman appeared, and I knew she was your mother. She introduced herself, and when I explained my presence, tears welled up in her eyes. She crumpled, covering her face, lamenting the situation she had entangled herself and you in. She expressed deep regret for not spending time with you, for not getting to know you. She was anguished that she was trapped, unable to watch over you. She mentioned her family in Sandlake, where her memories and pictures resided. She wanted you to have them, to keep them close as a remembrance of her, assuring you that she would always watch over you. She wanted you to know that her love for you surpassed anything imaginable and that she longed to find peace and reunite with your father. She pleaded for you not to harbor any resentment so she could find solace in eternal rest," I recounted, with my words carrying a weight of emotion and revelation.

"Thanks a ton, Mel. Without you, I'd be clueless about my mom's story and her thoughts on my life. I can't express my gratitude enough," he said, a smile playing on his lips as he brushed away a tear.

"Here's to freedom, redemption, and prosperity," I chimed in, raising my soda. We clinked our cans, sharing a smile. "Let's ditch these dark clothes before we start looking like we're in mourning," I suggested, getting to my feet.

"Absolutely," he agreed, a grin tugging at his lips as he stood up.

As I entered my room and sank onto the bed, Elaine's words echoed in my mind, refusing to fade. After a quick shower, my thoughts swirled with the possibilities of what might unfold if I didn't seize this opportunity. Dressed and ready, I descended the stairs. Jake was at the counter, and the moment was ripe for action. It was now or never, a decision to make.

"Hey, come take a look at this," he beckoned before I could speak. I held back, letting him lead. "I've mapped out the route to Sandlake. It's not too far, about a three-hour drive or two hours and forty-five minutes if traffic's kind. Sounds good, right?" he shared enthusiastically.

"Yeah, not bad. So what's the plan now? Are you heading over there?" I inquired, my curiosity piqued.

"Yeah, following my mom's guidance. I'll head there, gather her photos, and maybe more. Perhaps I'll find a place to stay with someone there," he shared, his voice tinged with determination.

"Staying there? Are you certain about this?" I questioned, a hint of reluctance in my tone, not eager for him to depart.

"Yeah, I feel like I've overstayed my welcome here. It's time for a change. I've been living under your roof, eating your food without contributing. Plus, it's a chance to connect with my roots and meet some relatives," he explained.

There goes any chance I had, even if I were to go for it now. Long-distance relationships, especially with someone like Jake, never end well. Even if we tried to communicate over the phone, understanding his emotions or having a meaningful conversation would be challenging. We'd essentially be back to being strangers.

"Those points make sense, Jake. It was good having you around, even if I wasn't here much this week. I appreciated it," I remarked, masking my true feelings.

"Don't disappear on me," he quipped, glancing at the coordinates.

"I won't," I replied with a light laugh. As I strolled into the living room, I couldn't process what had transpired. Glancing at him engrossed in the town, I hesitated to regret sharing his mom's words. They say fate has its own plans; maybe it's just not our time.

We sat down for dinner with Jake, where he detailed his upcoming trip to my parents. Despite my heartache, I concealed it well, staying quiet throughout the meal. It's often the things we cherish that inflict the deepest wounds. If I could turn back time, would I? To the moment I asked Jake to join me on the project? Perhaps. Actually, no. It all seems trivial now; I'm not here to sound like a bitter ex or girlfriend.