you don't have to prove it

inspired by a scene from the book "Funny You Should Ask"

You've stopped by Rafe's place while his family is out. He borrowed your golf clubs last week since his were stolen by Pogues in some back-and-forth game of revenge. You warned him not to lose yours. He hasn't. He told you he'd give them back when you texted him earlier asking if you could come by and get them.

You and Rafe have been friends for a while. It surprised you to learn that he's actually kind of pleasant to be around. At least, when it's just you and him. He's an obnoxious jerk when his friends are around.

He lets you in and tells you your clubs are in the backyard.

"I'll go get them," he says.

You move into the living room, smooth your skirt down, and sit on the edge of the couch. Their house is one of the nicest on the island, on the outside and on the inside.

When Rafe returns, he sets them in the doorway.

"Want something to drink?" he asks.

You don't have anywhere to be. You were thinking of hitting the golf course this afternoon, but hanging out with Rafe while he's alone seems like more fun.

"Sure," you say. Again, you wait as he disappears into the kitchen to grab you a drink.

"Here you go." He hands it to you as he comes around the couch and flops down beside you.

He's brought you a glass of Coke with ice that clink around. It fizzes in your face as you take a tentative sip. "Thanks," you say, and tug your skirt down.

Rafe leans back into the couch and lays his arm up behind you. "So, you came here just for your clubs?"

You tell him what you were going to do. "But, I don't know. I'm not really feeling up to it now. It's hot and humid out."

"It's gonna rain later."

"Yeah." I take another sip, just for something to do. "So, your dad left you here all by yourself?"

"Yup."

You notice that Rafe didn't get himself a drink. You're not sure if it's that he went out of his way to get you one, or if it's the soda that makes you all bubbly.

"Hm, that's kind of risky."

Rafe smiles, but it falters. After a minute, he says, "Only for the afternoon." He nudges your knee. "What are you doing?"

"Well, right now I'm here with you. Unless your friends show up. And then I'm out."

He smiles again, a twinkle in his eye. "Nope. Just me."

You lean into him a little, feeling drunk. "Good. I like you better this way."

And while you stare at him, Rafe lets his hand fall onto your bare knee. It startles you, makes you jump. Rafe pulls his hand away like he's touched fire.

"Sorry." Your hand flies to your forehead. Your heart thrashes behind your ribs.

Rafe shifts, uncomfortably. He's embarrassed. You've embarrassed him.

"That caught me off guard," you say.

"I thought, uh..."

"What?"

He shakes his head. "I thought maybe... you'd want..." He gestures between the both of you, and then it clicks.

"Oh. God. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-- Really. You just surprised me."

"Nevermind," he says. He starts to shift his body away from you, like he's water slipping through your fingers.

"Wait." You throw yourself at him. Your mouth lands on his with desperate attempt to gain back the mood he was trying to create.