|33| proximity

Vote, Comment, Share.

Follow your Author Meehira__writes❤️

New Readers take a moment and vote on all the chapters before you start reading this one. Add the story to your reading list to increase the engagement.

Thank you.

Happy Reading!

___

"Hmm," I murmured in concurrence.

"So, speak," he urged.

"Vaibhav, concerning my job... I've secured it, and I'm fully capable of treating us to dinner," I began.

"Furthermore, it's my achievement. It holds significance to me, and I recognize that my salary may not match with yours, and it likely never will, but..." I trailed off as he interjected.

"Have you contemplated the language you use?" he interrupted, looking at me with an intense gaze.

"Each word you utter revolves around 'I'," he pointed out.

"Nidhi, why can't it center on 'us'?" he queried.

"I've previously mentioned that I've supported my family, and now you're part of that family," he reminded me, emphasizing on what he has said earlier.

"I understand we hastily entered into marriage," he continued, "but it's been over a month now, and we've been intertwined in each other's lives for more than two months. I get it  it's a challenge for you to except and adapt, but you've shouldered so much responsibility. Ever since I mentioned that my mother refrains from entering the kitchen, you've taken it upon yourself to cook for everyone. Regardless of being occupied with college or other commitments, you ensure meals are prepared. I've never impeded you; So, why can't you..."

"Because your family is my family too, Vaibhav," I interjected firmly.

"So, your family consists solely of my family and not your husband?" he challenged, his tone resolute, and I stood stunned as he articulated the point, preparing to leave. However, I reached out and grasped his hand, halting his departure.

"That's not what I meant," I insisted, stepping in front of him to obstruct his path.

"The issue, Nidhi, is that I don't know what you mean or what you desire," he lamented, though he remained rooted in place.

"You... You are part of my family too. I didn't intend to imply otherwise," I clarified, summoning every ounce of courage within me. The fear lingered, the fear that even in this home, I am transient, and as time passes, I'll have to depart.

What if I become too accustomed to his presence, his care, and later find standing on my own feet once more impossible?

"But the concern persists," he persisted, ready to leave once more.

"Vaibhav, it's just that the gifts you bestow upon me... I feel overwhelmed by them. From the inaugural gift, this necklace, to the anklets, and now this. I'll never be able to reciprocate such gestures because I can't earn like you," I confessed.

"We should only accept gifts that we can reciprocate, not ones that burden us," I suggested.

"I get it, but the same shouldn't apply to your husband," he countered.

"I'm reiterating the same point, Nidhi. You've assumed every responsibility, from managing my wardrobe to serving me food, tasks I used to handle myself. You spend more time with my siblings than I do. Despite not receiving much affection yourself, you continue to spend time with my mother. Even though I struggle to call your father 'Papa,' you willingly undertake these responsibilities," he elucidated.