Part 1 - Prologue (One Hundred Years Ago)

Shutting his eyes against the pain, Arturo tried not to think about the blood seeping from the gash across his back. Her talons had ripped through his chain mail as though it were paper. The warm liquid pooled at his lower back, soaking his shirt and breeches. He prayed his instincts had been right and the dragon sorceress would morph into her human form. A second later he was rewarded with the telltale whoosh of air that always accompanied her transformation.

Searing pain flared in his back when she kicked him hard in the gut, causing his entire body to shudder. He groaned and held his arms over his torso protectively. Another blow like that might be the end of him in his weakened state, but he wasn't done with her. All he needed was a few more minutes.

"Good, you're not dead. Yet. Tell me, was it worth dying for?" the dragon sorceress asked, crooking her finger under his chin to lift his face. She stared intently into his eyes. "I cannot be destroyed and will live on for thousands of years. You know that as well as any mortal. I've lost count of how many times you've tried to kill me over the years. So tell me, dear friend. Was it worth it?"

"Aye," he said, his breathing shallow. He suddenly felt weak and tired. Rather than fighting to keep his eyes open, he rested them for a precious few seconds. Arturo knew what he must do, and prayed to the Heavens that he be granted the strength to look death in the eyes. All of his senses were alive—heightened by the awareness of his last breaths.

His eyes fluttered open and connected with hers. "To live in constant fear is to not live at all. I will not have died in vain. The end of your time is coming. I promise you that, Marigot."

A glorious waterfall of black hair swayed on her back from her sudden laughter. "And how, may I ask, will my demise come about?"

"From the next great dragon slayer, of course."

"But we have already agreed that I cannot be slayed. You have seen with your own eyes and have tried with your own hands to penetrate my dragon scales. And you, the best dragon slayer of all. It is impossible!"

Arturo's mouth turned up in a slight curve as he beheld the black beauty before him. It was a pity that such angelic beauty was bestowed on an evil and heartless creature. "Everyone and everything has a weakness."

Her shrewd eyes narrowed on his face. "And what, pray tell, is mine?"

"Vanity," he rasped and slowly clasped his gut with his hand. "I knew you could not resist the urge to change into human form and gloat over your death blow."

His eyes never left hers as he reached into his bag and whipped out his sword in one smooth movement, thrusting it into her heart. He fell flat on his face, having used the last ounce of his energy, and waited for darkness to overcome him. Marigot's anguished cries fell silent when she splashed into the water nearby. His thoughts began to spin. Seconds later her hands grasped him roughly on the shoulders and shook him violently.

"You fool!" she screamed. "He who bathes in the pool of life shall be healed."

"Healed," he whispered, drawing his last breath, "but eternally scarred and vulnerable."

Marigot gasped in horror as she pulled back the torn cloth of her gown to reveal a wide scar marring her once beautiful skin.

"You'll pay for this dearly," she growled, continuing to shake him. But he was dead. She stood and raised her hands to the sky, shouting, "I will slaughter every last relative to join you in hell, Arturo. Burn your beloved village to the ground. Destroy your ships and crew. I will wipe Aeon clean of your existence. This I promise."

In a dramatic whirl of motion she spun and spun, transforming effortlessly into a dragon. Though it was nearly dark, thin strips of sunlight permeated the canopy of forest leaves and shimmered against her icy blue dragon scales. Except, that is, for the long, dull patch of skin across her chest. The dragon's eerie caw could be heard for miles as she tore through the sky on a path due North to the dragon sorceress's stronghold—Infinitas.