Part 2 - Breaking Curfew

Kalendae shivered involuntarily despite her warm leather jerkin and wool tights and the fire crackling a few feet away. The story of Arturo and the dragon sorceress crept under her skin every time she heard it. But even more so than usual on this night. Perhaps it was the occasional soft howling of the wind through the great forest, whispering in her ear. Or the knowledge that sitting here now, enjoying the story and crackling fire, was forbidden.

"You're such a girl, Kali," Drakon said with a disgusted snort. He slashed an imaginary sword dramatically through the air, full of the pompousness and flair of a sixteen-year-old boy come of age. The billowy arms of his white shirt-sleeves floated in the air with each swipe. "Had I faced the dragon sorceress, she would surely be dead now!"

"Shut up." Kali swatted playfully at his mop of long black hair. "I want to hear this, Drake. The last part of the story is always the best."

Jeremiah sat up straighter on the log and turned a raised brow to his daughter and her best friend, his stare dark and intense. It had the desired effect. Drake shrugged in apology and leaned closer to the fire, stretching out his fingers for warmth.

Slowly scanning the perimeter of the fire pit, Jeremiah made eye contact with each of the teenagers until his gaze settled on Kali's good friends Harold and Ferra, who sat quietly on the edge of their seats. Ferra nodded anxiously toward Jeremiah to continue.

Keeping his voice low, he said, "Before the caw of the dragon faded from the sky, a shimmering light fell over Arturo, gathering substance until, at last, the prophetess materialized in all of her golden splendor. Tears slipped past her eyelashes as she knelt next to Arturo, for she was too late and thus cradled his head in her lap.

"'One hundred years has the fear and darkness of the dragon sorceress reigned over Aeon but tonight, my beloved Arturo, you have sacrificed yourself for the good of the land.'

"She reached for his sword with one hand and dipped her other behind his back to collect a pool of his blood on her fingertip before adding a drop of her own blood and smearing the mixture along the edge of Ormr—his great broadsword.

"'One hundred years more will come and go before the blood of our blood will be born with the power and knowledge of the dragon slayer. I place Ormr in the pool of life that it may be called forth by he who shall fulfill your destiny and bring lasting peace.'"

Only the crackling fire could be heard as each of them stared transfixed at the dancing flames, the final words lingering in their thoughts. One hundred years ago. On this day, the one-hundred-year anniversary of Arturo's death, and the shared sixteenth birthdays of Kali and Drake—best friends and cousins. The two had come of age on the same day. And somewhere out there the dragon slayer had been born—to fulfill his destiny in this lifetime, to bring an end to the fear and madness wrought by the dragon sorceress, Marigot, and her dark followers.

"Father," Kali asked in a hushed tone, "do you believe the next great dragon slayer will be a man or a woman?" Drake snorted and crossed his arms over his chest, his face a mask of disbelief at such a question.

Jeremiah shook his head lightly. "I can't say for sure, my dove, but whomever it is will need to possess courage, knowledge, stealth and strength." He winked at her and smiled. "Someone very much like you."

Drake turned to her with a sparkle in his eyes. "You haven't the strength necessary to kill a dragon, Kali. The great sword, Ormr, likely weighs more than you."

"Humph." Her eyes narrowed on the dancing flames. "Perhaps the sorceress won't die from Ormr's mighty strike. An arrow to the heart would surely suffice and could be inflicted at a distance to evade the dragon's sharp talons and fiery breath."