Part 5 - Tree of Eternity

"Oh my, you're a fairy." The wonder in Kali's tone of voice was genuine as she watched the little wings flutter rapidly.

"We prefer to be called wood sprites," the little fairy said with her hands planted on her hips as she hovered at eye level with Kali. Her long, brown, wavy locks were secured at the nape of her neck with a blade of grass, and the edges of her purple dress flapped from the force of the wind generated by her wings. "Well? Are you going to apologize?"

"I'm sorry," Kali said, turning to her friends, wondering if she was somehow dreaming. "Are you guys seeing what I'm seeing? Harold. Come look at this. Please?"

Harold slowly walked to her side and smiled. "Well, I'll be darned. It's a wood sprite!" Reaching for one of his books, he pulled it out and fanned the pages until he came to a picture. "Look, Kali."

The creature fluttered her wings and came closer to peer into the book. "Oh...how hideous. Come look at this, Julia. Really. What was she thinking, wearing those leaves?"

A second sprite attired in a lovely red gown suddenly appeared by her side. Long ringlets were swept off her face and fastened at the back of her head with a flower. Her tiny fingers covered the freckles sprinkled over her nose, and she gasped. "Indeed, Cassidy. Shameful. Everyone will think wood sprites are ugly little creatures."

"I don't think you're ugly," Harold said, snapping his book shut. "You're both quite beautiful. Who knew wood sprites could have freckles and long, curly hair?"

The sprites giggled, and the air was filled with their little chirps.

"Those weren't birds chirping at all," Ferra said, jumping off the log and coming for a closer look. "You two were laughing at us. Did you also put the pollen under our noses this morning?"

They stared at each other wide-eyed, then flew around in wild circles while laughing. Once their laughter was spent, they landed on Harold's shoulder. Cassidy leaned into his ear.

"It was a joke." She twirled a strand of his hair around her finger and sighed. "Please don't be angry with us. We do love a good laugh. My, you have pretty hair. Have you ever seen red curls on a man before, Julia?"

"No." Julia shook her head and reached out to touch it. "And so silky soft. Like a flower. Oh my, I might be in love."

Harold jumped back, startling the sprites so that they took flight. "You can't love me," he declared, and his voice cracked. "I'm human. And you're...you're...not!"

"Don't be silly," they said in unison, which caused them to fall into another fit of giggles. Cassidy flitted up to Drake and dared to touch his hair as well. "He is lovely, too. But scary. Such big muscles you have. I prefer the other one. Tall and lean."

"Well there's a first," Ferra said with a snort.

Cassidy zipped over and circled Kali's head in a flash. "Can we play with you today? Please, please, pretty please? We won't joke around anymore. And I can show you the best spot for fishing. It's over there. You'll not catch anything here."

Kali eyed her suspiciously but nodded. "Yes, but I'd like to ask you a few questions."

"Oh, yes, yes, yes. Questions. I can answer questions." She performed a perfect pirouette, and then led the way to the fishing spot. "What do you want to know? How old I am? What my favorite food is? Where I found the petals for my dress?"

"Errr, no." Kali coughed into her hand and wiped the smile off her face. "Have you ever seen the forest ranger in this part of the woods? We really need to speak with him."

"Ranger Tavis?" Julia asked and sat cross-legged on Kali's shoulder. "Of course we know Ranger Tavis. He's our favorite human." She smiled coyly at Harold. "And then you."

The Dragon Sorceressजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें