Part 3 - The Village

Kali glared at Drake in disgust.

"I'm the dragon slayer," Drake said quietly again and again. His eyes glazed over with a far-away look while a satisfied grin settled on his lips.

She dragged him by the hand across the field of tall grass and wild flowers toward their home, muttering to herself as she carefully stepped over large rocks and avoided deep ruts. The tiny Village of Kordos lay sleeping in the still night with nary a torch or lamp to be seen, but she could easily make out the church steeple by the light of the moon. They hurried down the wide dirt road leading into the village square and passed Mr. Snigger's bakery shop before entering The Spider's Web Inn. The massive wooden door creaked loudly, announcing their arrival to the patrons within.

As she scanned the tables in search of her father, the reality of their situation began to sink in. A sense of unease welled in her belly and clawed its way outward to her extremities. When her eyes finally connected with the steady blue gaze she sought, Kali dropped Drake's hand and rushed into the warm and strong embrace of her father.

"Why do you tremble?" Jeremiah cooed, stroking her long golden hair. "You are safe. We are all safe now." He pushed her an arm's length away and studied her face, squeezing along her limp limbs to ensure she was all right. "I was beginning to worry. We lost you in the woods. What took you so long to return?"

"Let's sit and I will tell you everything," she said, sinking onto the long bench next to Harold. "Though you may question my sanity."

Harold glanced over his shoulder, and a brow quirked up into the mop of curly red hair hanging over his forehead. "Why is Drake standing at the door and mumbling to himself?"

She chuckled and folded her arms against the table. "Go get him. He's out of sorts from our adventure. Hurry back."

"You look pale," her father said, sliding a tankard of ale in front of her from across the table. "Whatever happened out there sucked the color right out of you. Drink up and get the roses back in those bonny cheeks."

Drake sat in the spot next to Jeremiah and gladly accepted the refreshment Jeremiah set before him. He drank deeply and wiped the froth from his lips. The ale seemed to lift the fog from Drake's brain. He raised both fists into the air and roared, "Come greet the dragon slayer!"

Jeremiah slapped him upside the head. "Quiet, boy. Give me your tankard or stop spewing such nonsense. You'll wake the whole village if you prattle on that way."

"It's the truth," Drake said, rubbing the side of his head. "The dragon warned us to make haste and prepare for our destiny. Ask Kali if you don't believe me. She saw it with her own eyes and heard the words clear as day."

All eyes turned to Kali, and she ran her hand through the length of her golden hair. "He speaks mostly the truth." She sighed and relayed what had transpired in the forest with the assassin and then later in the field. Wide eyes filled with a mixture of wonder and fear stared back at her throughout the tale.

Jeremiah crossed his arms while his right hand rubbed his chin in deep thought. "And Aminta made it clear Drake was the dragon slayer, did she now?"

"No," Kali said with a slight shake of her head. She glared at Drake across the table and took a fortifying sip of ale. "Only that Kaylee's prophecy tells of the dragon slayer coming of age today, not being born, as we all assumed. Drake and I are both Arturo's descendants. Father, the harpies seemed to think there could be others as well."

"It's possible." He leaned into the table and spoke softly. "Come, let us go home. Be quick about it. We have much to discuss and the hour grows late. Harold. Ferra. Join us."