Chapter Twenty

"Forget your past, forgive yourself, and begin again." -Unknown

I didn't sleep that night. I sat curled up in my window seat with a cappuccino, rereading the message the perpetrator had sent me.

My emotions were equal parts trepidation, fear, and victory. I was scared for what would come next, but happy that an ending was in sight. I was going to confront them, find out how they knew what I had done, and do whatever it takes to make sure my dirty laundry wasn't aired in public—at least, not in a way that I couldn't dictate.

I skipped school that day, as I had far to much to do. I spent the day zigzagging through town, getting my affairs in order, setting up certain things and talking to certain people. Everything that happened next was critical, and I had to be prepared. I had no idea what was going to happen, so I had to plan accordingly. All I knew was that this ended tonight. One way or another.

That afternoon, I packed my bag and began to head out, ready to tackle this problem head-on. I pulled out my phone and tapped in a simple text to the recipient: I know who you are. Meet me at Montgomery Lake at seven.

I threw it back into my bag and started for the door. Just as I made it to the foyer, I heard the key click into the door and it swing open. I froze and glanced at the clock as my mother walked through the doors, several shopping bags in hand. She frowned. "Camila?" she asked. "What are you doing home? It's a school day."

"I was just leaving," I informed her.

"Why were you here in the first place? You're a senior, you should be attending classes."

"I had something important to do," I replied. "I need you to trust me."

"That's not good enough anymore," she replied, dropping the bags to the marble floor and crossing her petite arms over her chest. "I'm worried about you, Camila. Skipping school, sneaking out...I let you do it when you were younger hoping eventually you'd fix yourself. But you're an adult now and you need to start acting like one."

"I will," I promised her. "I just have one more thing to take care of and then I promise you I'll be better."

"What are you doing that's so important?" she asked.

I sighed. "When I was younger, I did something I'm not proud of. And now someone knows. If they go public with it, it could destroy this family. I need to stop it."

"Are you in danger?" she asked. It was the most worried I'd ever seen her. My mother had never had a maternal, nurturing nature, and the fact that now she cared so much had me upset.

"No," I told her. "Whatever's going on ends tonight. I promise."

I started for the door, and opened it to find the weather cold and brisk. Fat flakes of snow fell to the pavement, creating an ugly slush, a harbinger for whatever was ahead.

I stopped and turned around, knowing I had to say it but not sure I could force the words out. "Mom?"

She turned around expectantly. "Yes, Camila?"

"Thank you," I told her. "For everything you've done for me, whether I've seemed grateful or not. No matter what happens after today, you'll always be my mother. I..."

"You what?" she whispered breathlessly, eyes wide and hopeful. I'd never known how much she was counting on hearing those words coming out of my mouth.

"I..." I swallowed, wondering why it was so hard to say them. Maybe because I'd never been much of an affectionate person. "I..."

She smiled sadly. "I know, baby. I love you, too."