Chapter One

|| Dedicated to scyrenne for the awesome cover. Thanks :) ||

Chapter One

“I know your world is in my hands, and you know I pull the strings. I like to see how tall you stand, ‘cause if I wanted I could take it away.” –Adelitas Way, The Collapse

“I wanna make a deal.”

I looked up from the glossy magazine’s double spread and cocked an eyebrow at Chelsea Colbert, who was fidgeting self-consciously with her garish green sweater, which only served to illuminate the nauseous tint of her pale skin.

My lips twitched into a smirk, and I slowly closed the cover of the magazing and crossed my legs. “Oh,” I said calmly. “Do you now?”

She nodded, and tucked a long, straw-like blonde lock of hair behind her ear. “Yes. I do.”

I set aside the magazine and crossed my arms over my chest, continuing to laze on the brick walkway. “Interesting. Tell me, Chelsea, what could I possibly do for a ravishing girl such as yourself?”

“I wanna be head cheerleader,” Chelsea said quickly, as if she wished to rid herself of the confession as quickly as possible. “I keep trying to get into the squad, but they won’t let me in. I need your help, Cam.”

I groaned and flopped my head back, grateful for the warm sun beating down on my skin. “Come on, Chels. Really? The cheerleading team? You could do so much better. Are you sure you really want this?”

I peeped one eye open just in time to see her nod. “Yes. I do. Please help me, Cam.”

“Fine,” I sighed, as if the mere idea of lowering myself to such a platform pained me. “Consider it done. But it’s gonna cost you.”

She winced. “How much?”

I pursed my lips. Considering the dirt I had on Lena, the current head cheerleader, it would be no trouble whatsoever. “One secret. And as a free bonus, I’ll even get you some free lessons from Lena Hall herself.”

She pulled forward her ratty tote bag, and I frowned, wrinkling my nose. “I can pay you,” she said quickly. “Really. I have five hundred dollars. Please, Cam.”

I laughed. How adorable. “I don’t want your money, kid. I got enough of my own. Sorry, but it’s secrets or nothing. What’s it going to be?”

She chewed on her chapped lip and stared off vaguely somewhere behind my shoulder, considering her options. Finally she nodded resolutely, and I admired her persistence and verve towards getting what she wanted. “No, I want this, Camila. I’ll do it.”

I sat up and brushed off my jeans, which were perfectly clean and pressed. “Done. Now, as for my payment….” I looked her over, considering what part of her I could gain info on. “Tell me, Chelsea, how’d you lose the weight over summer break? I know diets and exercise works wonders, but you don’t even have stretch marks. Mind sharing your mad weight loss secret with me?”