3 - Confused

My first impression of the compound is that of a prison, like the ones I saw on TV

My first impression of the compound is that of a prison, like the ones I saw on TV. A handful of buildings are scattered in the middle of the woods, surrounded by a tall barb wire fence with guard towers in every corner. The only entrance is a control gate, staffed with a dozen soldiers. When Felipe rolls down the window and gives the young man with the machine gun a grim nod, the barrier goes up. We pass, and it goes down just as quickly.

"It's for your own security," Felipe says. "The president is super careful with foreign visitors since they are easy targets for the rebels. He insists on everyone staying here."

I frown. This doesn't sound at all like the safe place he described after I questioned him about a travel warning the US had issued for Malaguay. "Didn't you tell me there was nothing to worry about?"

The smile he gives me is adorable and I can't help for my heart to race in my chest despite my bad mood.

"It's just a precaution and I have a room down here while you're visiting. Besides, we'll be gone for most of the day."

When he strokes my cheek, the last resistance evaporates with the slight breeze. Flurries twirl in my abdomen. It's just awesome to be here and I should follow his lead.

He unloads my suitcase and guides me inside the largest of the buildings. We walk down a long hallway. Rooms on either side are lined with bunk beds and all the way at the end is a huge communal shower. The pastel yellow paint is stained along the ceiling and chips off the walls in numerous spots. Undoubtedly, this place has seen better days.

"This is one of the floors where the soldiers stay. You'll be on the fourth floor. The rooms are smaller and more private."

I wrinkle my nose. "Am I supposed to share a room?"

"Yeah. Is that a problem?" He holds the door open for me as we enter a stairwell.

I've only shared a room once before with Emily, during a summer church retreat when I was ten. My dad had to pick me up after I got terribly homesick. Though Emily and I were besties, it still felt awkward, and the idea of having to spend two weeks in a room with a bunch of strangers is a bit terrifying. What if they bully me or have strange habits? With growing hesitation, I trudge up the steps. Maybe I should just stay at a hotel, though I likely don't have enough money to pay for a room and would rather not ask Felipe. Somehow, I'll have to manage.

"I'm sure it'll be fine." My words are more meant to reassure myself but get him to smile. My heart skips a beat. The dimples are back, and at that moment, I would've slept in a bathtub if that was required to be close to him.

"The other girls are really nice and they all speak English. You'll see, it'll be fun."

His fingers brush over the back of my hand and I have to clench my jaw to prevent myself from drooling. The rest of our ascent is spent in silence with my gaze glued on the little strands of hair curling at the nape of his neck. The image of my fingers entangled in his thick locks while he pulls me closer for a kiss makes me giddy. His lips look soft, their touch probably amazing.