33 - Sacrifice

Dear Pearson—sorry that other commitments have prevented me from stopping by the orphanage

Dear Pearson—sorry that other commitments have prevented me from stopping by the orphanage. To make it up to you, why don't you bring the boys over to the compound in the afternoon for some ice cream? That'll give me a chance to read to them and would mean the world to me. Thanks, Stacy.

Miguel lowers the paper and glares at me with a dark expression. "Seriously? You're inviting the enemy to the compound? Why don't you just videotape the whole setup and send it to CNN so that the rebels know exactly how to attack us?"

My smile is contrite. "I didn't even think of that." At least he took it better than expected.

He sighs. "You really need to start thinking about consequences before you act. A blunder like this could have a serious impact on my business."

"I thought it was our business." I gaze at him from under my eyelashes.

"Well, yeah. Our business." He's about to crumple the piece of paper in his hand when he hesitates. "Though come to think of it, this might actually not be such a bad idea. I could arrange for a tour of the training center—without Pearson, of course—and show the boys what they're missing out on." He chuckles. "Hell, I might even be able to recruit some of them right on the spot."

What a sickening idea. Pearson will be furious; if he even shows up at all.

Miguel folds the paper and slides it into the envelope before handing it to Naiara. "Tell Pearson we'll throw in five new laptops as a gift that he can only get if he personally picks them up at the compound. That way, he's sure to come."

I hide my gasp with a little cough. Tomás is right, he's putting on an act. When he told me this morning that laptops were almost impossible to get, I actually believed his crap.

The question about my own computer rests on the tip of my tongue when I meet his gaze. His mood has changed for the worse. If I open my mouth in any type of challenge, he will lash out.

I offer a smile instead. "I'm really not that hungry and would rather lay down to work on the menu list. Do you mind?"

"No, not at all." He kisses the top of my head. "I'm glad you're so enthusiastic about this dinner since I didn't discuss it with you first. I love you and appreciate that we're in this together now."

Even Naiara wrinkles her forehead at the insincerity in his voice. I let it slide, not eager to rock the boat. My only priority should be the Coyote.

He doesn't come to bed until way past midnight, the smell of alcohol oozing from his breath and body. Stumbling around the room while he gets ready, he stubs his toe and mumbles a low curse.

When he joins me in bed, I pretend to be asleep, hoping to avoid sex. My fingers graze his nude body by accident and I'm taken aback by the sticky touch of his skin. He must've been with another woman. Fighting my tears, I listen to his snoring. An unhappy sensation claws at my chest. Even without the Coyote, or Devon, or the beatings, this marriage would probably never work out. If I ever jump into another relationship, I'll make sure I have my eyes wide open.