17 - One Step Further

Santino's birthday is also celebrated by the masses in the streets, and he spared no expense to make this day memorable

Santino's birthday is also celebrated by the masses in the streets, and he spared no expense to make this day memorable. It starts out with a big parade, where we drive in his armored Hummer through the capital, waving at the cheering crowds on the sidewalk. Armed guards observe the whole event closely, and judging from some of the faces, I'm not entirely sure whether the people are here by choice.

When we pass by the town square, half-a-dozen temporary barbecue pits have been erected and a large pig turns on a stick in the center. Though I'm usually not a big fan of pork, the sight alone makes my mouth water. Stalls with fruits, vegetables, and pastries line the entire north side of the square. Miguel told me that the party will last all day, although we'll be celebrating at the same venue as Bettina and Ramon's wedding. It has been colder over the past few days, and when we arrive at the hotel, Miguel tucks a warm coat around my shoulders.

"I don't want you to catch a cold." His lips brush over the part of my face that still shows a slight coloration from his beating two weeks ago.

Naiara showed me how to best cover it with makeup, and my skin appears flawless. Only the invisible scars that are a painful reminder of what my boyfriend is capable of continue to throb without a sign of relief.

He guides me to the large lawn in the back of the main building where workers built a makeshift podium with small garden chairs lined in neat rows. Handing me a glass of champagne, he steers me toward the front. Most faces are unfamiliar, but I notice Bettina already seated next to Raine and Shauna in the second row.

"Can we sit with my friends?" I ask Miguel, who turns toward the group with a frown.

His gaze lingers for a moment on the girls. "Sure, why not? I have to give a speech in honor of my dad, so I guess they can translate. I'll join you afterward."

He walks me over to the girls and makes sure I'm comfortable with a fresh glass of champagne. Bettina keeps rubbing her belly and is pale as a ghost; she actually looks sick.

"Are you okay?"

"I don't know. I had cramps all night but didn't want to spoil the party for Ramon."

"Maybe you're in labor." Raine's eyes are filled with concern. "Do you want me to take you to the doctor? I could do without the speeches."

Bettina's face twists in pain and she shifts in her seat. "No, not yet. Ramon is expected to give a speech and it's really important for him. He worked on it all week."

Shauna stares straight ahead with wide eyes and doesn't have an opinion. Over the past few days, she has admitted to me that Tomás yellsat her constantly; even the slightest thing can set him off. Not talking at all has proven most effective, so that's the reason why she usually keeps her mouth shut.

The lawn fills up quickly; when I turn around, Pearson and the US ambassador are taking a seat in the section that must be reserved for foreign representatives. If I get the chance, I'm seeking Bennett out today to ask for his help.