29 - Secrets and Lies

Vomit spills from my mouth and I stick my head deep into the toilet before my stomach heaves again

Vomit spills from my mouth and I stick my head deep into the toilet before my stomach heaves again. The effort drives tears to my eyes. My whole body shakes in between bouts while I try to fight the nausea, but just as the last three mornings, I don't calm until my stomach is completely empty.

When I'm finally done, I wipe my mouth clean on a piece of toilet paper. Leaning back against the wall, I breathe through clenched teeth. Miguel appears in the doorway. The big wrinkle on his forehead reveals his worry.

"You should seriously see a doctor."

"It's nothing, Miguel." I pull myself onto my feet and clutch the rim of the sink to stabilize my wobbly knees. When I turn on the faucet, the cold water running over my wrists and hands gets rid of the blinking spots in front of my eyes. I squirt toothpaste onto the toothbrush and brush until my gums hurt to kill the nasty taste in my mouth. With a deep breath, I turn back to my husband. No more need to deny the truth. "I think I might be pregnant."

His face lights up like a Christmas tree. "Really?" He closes the gap between us with two quick steps. Wrapping me into his arms, he pulls me into a hug. "That's wonderful, baby. When will you know for sure?"

My period is set to start in four days and my body has always kept to its biological schedule like clockwork, although a pregnancy test will be the only way to confirm for sure. "Soon. Can you get me an appointment with the doctor early next week? I don't think it makes a lot of sense to see him before then."

"Consider it done." He tilts my head back to force eye contact. "You should take it easy. Maybe going to the orphanage this week is too much."

The prospect of being locked up in the house for the next nine months is terrifying. The last two weeks, the orphanage has been the only light on my horizon. "My mom had really bad morning sickness when she was pregnant with my brother but still managed to take care of my sister and me. It'll be fine." I peck his lips. "Don't worry."

With a sigh, he releases me. "Okay, but if you feel dizzy or sick, promise me to stay home."

I cross my heart. "Scout's honor."

That summons a smile to his lips. "I can't tell you how happy I am."

I stifle a grimace; for me, it's a nightmare. I didn't want to have a child with a man I intend to leave. "What are your plans for today?"

"Just work." He keeps his tone even and I can't tell if he's lying or not.

"What type of work?" My voice is just as nonchalant, like it's the most natural question and not a blatant attempt to pry into his business. Running my fingers over the selection of shirts, I pull out a red-and-blue checkered top that I bought during our trip to Colombia.

"You've been quite curious lately. I don't think talking about my work is an appropriate topic. It would just bore you." He takes the shirt out of my hand and forces my body around to face him.