You're Cute

"You really like that jacket. " Avril says as she walks with me to my locker.

"No. It is just really warm and it smells really good. Like him. Not that I like him he just...."

"Smells good. I know. You've said that like ten times today. If you don't hurry your ass up I'm going to have to wait in the lunch line. " She groans.

"You should pack one then like I do. " I shrug my shoulders.

"Ok. Well I'll see you at lunch. I can't wait any longer. " She says after giving me a playful shove.

I roll my eyes. That girl hates being late for lunch. Ever since middle school. The bell would ring and she'd be the first one out the door and be part of the first group to get down to lunch. She hated having to wait because then people would get in front of her. That happened once. Never again. Now she never has anyone get in front of her, let's put it at that.

I grab my little brown paper lunch bag and shove the rest of my books in my locker. I shut the locker door and spot Parker.

"Hey Parker. " I smile. What? When did I greet him? Normally I just avoid his gaze and roll my eyes.

"Hey Aubrey. " He smiles back. "I see you're still wearing my sweatshirt. I'm cold I think I'm going to need it back. "

"Nice try. I'm not giving it back. " I smirk.

"That's my favorite sweatshirt. "

"And I'm wearing it. " I cross my arms.

He steps closer to where he is right in front of me and places his hands on either side of the lockers behind me. I'm pressed up against the lockers.

"Why do you play hard to get? I like you. You hate me. What is it with you?" he whispers in my ear.

"I don't like guys who think they can get whoever they please. " I say, almost inaudible.

"I don't think. I know. "

"Seriously? That is what turns me off."

"Listen here smart girl. I think you're cute. I'm going to make you like me. And if I'm lucky enough, you'll love me. If you don't in two months then I will leave you alone. No more annoying ol' me. " He says, leaning in a little more to where I can feel his lips brushing my ear.

My eyes are closed and I shiver when his warm breath blows down my ear. I hear him chuckle and then the warmth that I always feel from him leaves me against the lockers, taking deep breaths, and shaking. If he is trying to get me to like him then he is already doing his job. I can't let him get into my head like this. I can't make his job easy.

He needs a run for his money. He wants me to fall in love with him, which probably won't happen. I'm going to have to turn up the difficult attitude and make him not like me and forget about this little game he is playing with me. The exact wrong girl to play it with.

I strut into the cafeteria with my heart beating a million miles a minute as I walk over to my usual lunch table that consists of me, Avril, Jacob, and dumbass Parker.

My hands are still shaking so I plop the lunch on the table and sit down. I hide my hands under the table and avoid Parker's eye contact.

"What took you so long?" Avril asks with worry in her eyes. "I know you're slow, but that was twice as long as usual. That brunette over there was about to take your spot, too. Lucky for you, Parker told her to beat it. "

I flick me eyes over to a grinning Parker before looking back down at my hands again.

"Are you ok?" Avy whispers, placing a hand on my arm.

"Yeah Aubrey. Are you alright?" Parker says in a sarcastic voice from across the table. He knows exactly what's up and he is getting on my nerves.

"I am just nervous for that exam we have before Christmas break. "

"That isn't until a month from now. " Jacob says.

"I know. Never mind. I shouldn't be nervous, I have plenty of other things going on to worry about it. " I say, glaring at Parker when I say I have plenty of other things to worry about.

I just get a raised eyebrow from him. So he is going to play with me? Like nothing just happened. So he is a player, just like I thought.

"So you're a player?" I ask him. Avril and Jacob stay silent and Jacob has a little smile on his face.

"Yeah. I've kissed a few girls. Broken a lot of hearts. " Parker says nonchalantly.

"And you're proud of this. Tell me, how many girlfriends have you had?" I ask innocently while swirling the straw around in my water bottle. I've never liked drinking from the bottle without a straw, I don't know why.

"Zero. None. " He says, finally looking me in the eyes now.

"Because you're not man enough to commit to a relationship. I'm sensing some insecurities here. "

"Aub-"Jacob starts, but gets cut off by Parker.

"No. I have a wild heart. I can't seem to settle down and I can't seem to find a girl that is actually worth tolerating and dealing with. Girls are desperate. You tell them one compliment and they fall in love. It's funny. That's why I flirt but never ask the question. I haven't liked anyone. Except for that one person I told you about..."He smirks his signature smirk again.

"I-" I falter and blush.

I look back down at my hands again and hide them in his sweatshirt. His sweatshirt. He is already working towards his goal. This can't be happening. I need to be more calm. I can't show him the effect he has on me, which is me blushing and shying away. Do I really like him?

No. Now that I think about it I really don't. I just think he smells good. It's just one thing that I think positively about him. I guess he isn't winning me over at all and he is going to have to just not be around me again after these two long months. I smile at that.

"Ah, yes. Are you sure that girl even thinks your worth her while? Last time I checked she doesn't like you very much. " I say, my grin growing.

"I know. And it's my mission to get her to love me. " He says, suddenly serious.

"Got it. "

"Ok. Change of subject you two. How about this lunch?" Avril says loudly.

"It's almost over. " I point out.

The guys just stay silent the rest of lunch and just listen to me and Avril talk about what we want to wear to the winter formal. Their silence is the most beautiful thing ever.