Chapter 12

Alexander's recovery continued steadily and he was back on duty in a further two days, the same day in fact that Fraser was brought on board by Major Pattisson for transport to Capella. He was lying down in his quarters, a little tired after his first full day when Major Pattisson flashed his ID at his door.

"Yes sir?" he opened the door and was surprised to see the Major standing there in a plain gray singlesuit which patrol officers used when they did not want to advertise their rank. It was the nearest a man could get to casual while on assignment. His black hair was slightly damp, as if he'd just showered.

"Can I come in?" He looked tense. Alexander hoped it was not bad news about Fraser or the case against him.

"Of course, sir, nothing wrong I hope?"

"No, no it's nothing to do with work." Pattisson stood awkwardly in the middle of his cabin. "It's personal."

Alexander stared at him, not daring to imagine what he was getting at.

Pattisson looked away, then braced himself, gathering his courage in both hands. He looked back at him, "I keep thinking about that time, when you ... you showed me what Morgan did." He stopped.

"Yes?" Was the Major going to lodge a complaint about him?

"I ... I was wondering," he swallowed, "If you would consider doing it again." He looked rather desperately at Alexander, hoping he would understand and not sneer at him, or worse, make him explain.

The Lieutenant stared at the older man with wide eyes. It was absolutely the last thing he had expected to hear. He had to say something, he couldn't just stand there as if a meteorite had hit him on the side of the head. "Uh. We need to talk about this. Let me set the privacy seal - is that okay with you?"

Pattisson nodded, looking extremely nervous. Once the privacy seal was set it meant he couldn't leave unless Alexander let him out.

Alexander pulled forward his two chairs. "Let's sit down." He waited until Pattisson seated himself on the edge of the chair. Then he went right to the heart of the matter. "Let me get this clear. You think you might be an om?"

"I don't know, but I can't stop thinking about you, ever since ..." The Major shut his eyes for a second. "God this is so awkward!" His eyes opened suddenly, as if a nightmarish thought had just crossed his mind. "You'll keep this just between us, won't you? Whatever happens?"

Alexander spoke calmly, not taking offence. "You have my word, this is solely between you and me." He sought a way to lower the tension. "Would you like a drink? I have some Amberi."

For a second the Major stared at him as if he'd offered a plasglas of poison, then he took a deep breath, "Thanks, I'd like that." He fiddled with his collar as Alexander poured them both a drink and handed him one.

"Let's slow down a minute," Alexander said with a faint smile as he sat down. "What's your first name? I don't think I can keep calling you Major."

"Ethan, it's Ethan." He took a gulp of his drink.

"And you never considered you might be an om until, ah, recently?"

Pattisson shook his head. "I can honestly tell you the thought never crossed my mind. I've had relationships, with women, everything seemed all right." He hesitated, as if he was going to add something else, but then stopped.

Alexander was still feeling his way carefully. "And you want me to make a pass at you again?"

The other man nodded, "To see if ... if it was for real or just ..." his voice trailed away.